Mass' versus Amount of matter

In summary, "Mass" and "Amount of matter" are two different ways of measuring the characteristics of an object. Mass refers to its inertia and response to gravity, while amount of matter refers to the count of particles comprising the object. However, at a deeper level, physics recognizes three types of mass and some fundamental particles are treated as point particles.
JJBladester
Gold Member
"Mass' versus "Amount of matter"

Homework Statement

I just started a thermo-fluid science course and am confused with a table showing common dimensions

Homework Equations

Dimension...Unit
Mass......kilogram (kg)
Amount of matter...mole (mol)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought mass was the amount of matter something had. Then what's the difference between a kilogram and a mole?

Physics news on Phys.org

JJBladester said:

Homework Statement

I just started a thermo-fluid science course and am confused with a table showing common dimensions

Homework Equations

Dimension...Unit
Mass......kilogram (kg)
Amount of matter...mole (mol)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought mass was the amount of matter something had. Then what's the difference between a kilogram and a mole?

A mole is a count of particles (atoms, molecules, etc.) comprising something. Mass refers to that something's inertia and/or response to a gravitational field.

gneill said:
A mole is a count of particles (atoms, molecules, etc.) comprising something. Mass refers to that something's inertia and/or response to a gravitational field.

I'm thinking back to my 4th grade science teacher's saying: "Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space."

The "has mass" part means that the matter resists being pushed by an external force (interia) and that the matter can be tugged by gravity.

Is this correct?

The "takes up space" part means that there's no such thing as a "point mass" in which something could have matter but would be physically dimensionless, right? It's funny how often we use point-mass approximations in basic physics courses.

JJBladester said:
I'm thinking back to my 4th grade science teacher's saying: "Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space."

The "has mass" part means that the matter resists being pushed by an external force (interia) and that the matter can be tugged by gravity.

Is this correct?
In a simplistic way, yes, it is correct. Quite suitable for 4th grade science. At deeper levels physics recognizes three types of mass: Inertial mass (the resistance to be accelerated), corresponding to the m that appears in the formula f = ma; and active and passive gravitational masses that appear as M and m in the formula f = GMm/r2, where f is the force that M produces on m. In practice, thanks to the Equivalence Principle, all three masses have the same numerical value for all three cases.

The "takes up space" part means that there's no such thing as a "point mass" in which something could have matter but would be physically dimensionless, right? It's funny how often we use point-mass approximations in basic physics courses.

This is another one of those things that gets modified by a deeper look. It turns out that certain fundamental particles, like the electron, are point particles to the very best of our ability to measure. For these we treat them as point particles and place an upper bound on their possible size (experiment shows that they cannot be larger than this, usually fantastically tiny, size).

Thanks gneill... Very informative! I am going to study the Equivalence Principal to go even deeper.

1. What is the difference between mass and amount of matter?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while amount of matter is a measure of the number of particles in an object.

2. How are mass and amount of matter related?

Mass and amount of matter are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the mass of an object increases, the amount of matter in the object also increases.

3. Can an object have different amounts of matter and mass?

Yes, an object can have different amounts of matter and mass. This can occur if the object has a different composition or if it is in a different state (e.g. solid, liquid, gas).

4. How do we measure mass and amount of matter?

Mass is typically measured using a scale or balance, while amount of matter is measured using the mole concept in chemistry. The mole is a unit used to measure the amount of a substance.

5. Is mass a constant or can it change?

Mass is a constant property of an object, meaning it does not change regardless of its location or surroundings. However, the amount of matter in an object can change if there is a physical or chemical change to the object.