Can one get rabies from eating bitten tomatoes?

• Medical
  • Thread starter causalset
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a rabid dog biting a tomato and the potential for the person to contract rabies from eating it. However, it is more likely that the hole in the tomato was caused by inconsistent watering and there is no need to worry about rabies. The conversation also mentions the higher likelihood of choking on the tomato compared to getting rabies from it.
causalset
I was eating a tomatoe and I discovered on it something of a form of a bite. Now I am not entirely sure whether it is from a dog; it could have been insects. But I guess it is weird that the line goes inside of the domatoe deeper than it usually does (it is 3 sentimeters length, 3 millimeters wide and 3 millimeters deep). Is it possible it that rabid dog bit that tomatoe? If so, would I get rabies by eating it? In other words, should i go to the doctor to check myself out and/or bring the half eaten tomatoe, or should I just assume I will be okay?

Biology news on Phys.org
Rabies is transmitted via saliva, so it's possible to get it that way. But, before you panic, the size of the hole you described doesn't sound much like a bite. You can get cracks that size in tomatoes simply from inconsistent watering. And, unless you've actually had rabid animals in your yard, eating your tomatoes (you'd recognize the odd behavior), there's likely nothing to worry about.

You most definitely have a greater chance of choking on that tomato and dying than getting rabies from a tomato that has a split in the skin. Yet illogically you still ate the tomato while overlooking your probability of choking to death.

1. Can one get rabies from eating bitten tomatoes?

No, it is extremely unlikely for someone to contract rabies from eating bitten tomatoes. Rabies is primarily transmitted through the saliva of infected animals, and tomatoes do not carry the virus.

2. What if the tomato was bitten by a rabid animal?

Even if a tomato was bitten by a rabid animal, the virus would not survive on the surface of the tomato. Rabies is a fragile virus and requires direct contact with the saliva of an infected animal to be transmitted.

3. What happens if a person accidentally eats a tomato that was bitten by a rabid animal?

There is still no risk of contracting rabies from a bitten tomato. The acidic environment of the stomach would likely kill any remaining virus. Additionally, rabies is rare in most domestic animals, making the chances even lower.

4. Can other fruits or vegetables carry rabies if bitten by a rabid animal?

No, rabies is not known to survive on the surface of fruits or vegetables. This means that even if a rabid animal were to bite other produce, there would be no risk of contracting the virus by consuming them.

5. What precautions should I take when handling produce to prevent rabies?

It is always a good idea to thoroughly wash any fruits or vegetables before consuming them, regardless of whether they were bitten by an animal or not. This can help remove any potential bacteria or viruses that may be present on the surface of the produce.