Drawing Threaded Holes: Correct Representation?

• Thread starter eurekameh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary, when drawing a side-view, it is important to include a special type of line for threaded holes, which can be found in the alphabet of lines. Dimensions are typically included, but can be omitted for simplicity. Hidden lines should be avoided when possible, and it is preferable to use separate views to show different features. When drawing by hand, it is acceptable to use hidden lines for threaded holes. A threaded hole can be represented by a concentric arc around the hole in question.
eurekameh
2s6uis3.png

I'm trying to draw the side-view and I'm having a bit of trouble. Is what I drew correct, or is there some kind of special representation for threaded holes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a special type of line used to fill in the area of a threaded hole. Look it up in the alphabet of lines. Everything you have so far is fine, you just need more.

What else is needed? I know there's a hole at the top, but it'd be to confusing if I tried to include that in the side view as hidden lines.
I also know dimensions should be included, but I'm omitting them for the purpose of this post. Thanks!
Edit:
Btw, what do you mean by the alphabet of lines? I tried looking it up, but is it some sort of chart or table?

In general avoid hidden lines wherever possible. It's always preferable to do a another view to show the feature properly.

In this case I wouldn't use any hidden lines. I'd do a front view, side view on the other side and a top view. The two holes at the front can be called out and positioned from the top view as through holes. Same with the two on the front face.

Depending on the geometry and the importance of the through hole on the diagonal face, I'd do that as a section view, and the same with the large hole on the top.

I'd do that because I use CAD. If I were drawing by hand I wouldn't do the section views, but show the hole on the diagonal as hidden lines.

You can show a threaded hole by a concentric arc that goes around the hole in question, http://media.photobucket.com/image/threaded hole/S_PK/019cdcdd.jpg

1. What are threaded holes and why are they important in drawings?

Threaded holes are holes in a material that have been specially designed to accept a threaded fastener, such as a screw or bolt. They are important in drawings because they provide a way to securely fasten two or more components together, creating a strong and reliable connection.

2. How should threaded holes be represented in a drawing?

Threaded holes should be represented with the appropriate symbol for the type of thread, such as a V or U-shaped symbol for standard threads, or a triangle symbol for metric threads. The symbol should be placed inside the hole and the size and pitch of the thread should be specified next to it.

3. What are some common mistakes when drawing threaded holes?

One common mistake is not specifying the correct thread type or size, which can lead to compatibility issues with the fastener. Another mistake is not including the thread symbol or dimensions, which can cause confusion and errors during manufacturing.

4. How can I ensure the correct representation of threaded holes in my drawings?

To ensure the correct representation of threaded holes, it is important to follow industry standards and guidelines, such as those set by organizations like the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). Additionally, double-checking all dimensions and symbols before finalizing the drawing can help prevent any mistakes.

5. Are there different types of threaded holes and do they require different representations?

Yes, there are different types of threaded holes, such as blind holes, through holes, and tapered holes. Each type may require a different representation in the drawing, such as specifying the depth for blind holes or indicating the taper angle for tapered holes. It is important to accurately represent the type of threaded hole to ensure proper assembly and functionality of the finished product.