Calculating drift velocity of electrons in a conductor

In summary, To calculate the drift velocity of electrons in a conductor, use the formula v = i/(NqA), where i is the current, N is the electron concentration, q is the electron charge, and A is the cross-sectional area.
michellewong

Homework Statement

Calculate the drift velocity of the elctrons in a conductor that has a cross-sectional area of 8x10^-6m^2 and carries a current of 8A. Take the concentration of free electrons to be 5x10^28 electrons/m^3 with 1.6x10^-19C charge on each electron.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Have a problem like this one on my study guide. Wanted to see how it was done in steps.

Physics news on Phys.org
The amount of charge passing a point in the wire in time t:
Q = NqvtA

N = electron concentration
q = electron charge
v = drift velocity
t = time
A = cross-sectional area

So:
v = Q/(NqtA)

But current is:
i = Q/t
so substitute this in:

v = i/(NqA)

1. What is drift velocity of electrons in a conductor?

The drift velocity of electrons in a conductor refers to the average speed at which electrons move through the material when an electric field is applied. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is drift velocity calculated?

The drift velocity can be calculated using the formula v = I/(neA), where v is the drift velocity, I is the current, n is the number of charge carriers per unit volume, e is the elementary charge, and A is the cross-sectional area of the conductor.

3. What factors affect the drift velocity of electrons?

The drift velocity of electrons can be affected by the magnitude of the electric field, the number of charge carriers, the cross-sectional area of the conductor, and the material's resistivity. Temperature can also have an impact on the drift velocity.

4. Can the drift velocity of electrons be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can travel. Therefore, the drift velocity of electrons cannot exceed the speed of light.

5. What is the significance of calculating drift velocity of electrons in a conductor?

Calculating the drift velocity of electrons helps to understand and predict the behavior of current in a conductor. It is also important in the design and optimization of electrical circuits and devices.