Calculating Minimum Sampling Rate for Fourier Signal

In summary, the minimum sampling rate for the given Fourier complex signal is twice the highest frequency component, as stated by the Nyquist Theorem. The highest frequency is the third harmonic, with a value of 750 Hz, so the minimum sampling rate would be 1500 samples per second.
fran1942
Hello, I have the following Fourier complex signal:
v(t) = 2/πsin(500πt)+1/2sin(1000πt)+1/3sin(1500πt)

I need to find the minimum sampling rate for this signal.
So, according to the Nyquist Theorem, the sampling rate must be twice the highest frequency component contained in the original signal.

So I assume my sampling rate would be twice the third harmonic (highest frequency component).

Now, because the format of a sine wave is expressed as 'sin(2πft)', I assume each component within brackets represents '2πft'. So for instance:
(500πt) = 2πft, so f = 250
(1000πt) = 2πft, so f = 500
(1500πt) = 2πft, so f = 750

Therefore, my Nyquist sampling rate would need to be twice the highest frequency component which would mean a sampling rate of 2 * 750 = 1500 samples per second ?

Any confirmation of whether I am correct here or not would be great.

Thanks kindly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right! :smile:

1. What is the purpose of calculating the minimum sampling rate for Fourier signal?

The minimum sampling rate for Fourier signal is used to determine the minimum number of samples needed to accurately represent a continuous signal in the frequency domain. This is necessary for applications such as signal processing, data compression, and communication systems.

2. How is the minimum sampling rate for Fourier signal calculated?

The minimum sampling rate for Fourier signal is calculated using the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem, which states that the sampling rate must be at least twice the highest frequency component of the signal in order to accurately reconstruct the original signal.

3. What factors can affect the minimum sampling rate for Fourier signal?

The main factor that affects the minimum sampling rate for Fourier signal is the bandwidth of the signal, which is determined by the highest frequency component. Other factors include noise, non-uniform sampling, and signal processing techniques used.

4. Can the minimum sampling rate for Fourier signal be lower than the Nyquist rate?

No, the minimum sampling rate for Fourier signal must be equal to or higher than the Nyquist rate in order to accurately reconstruct the signal in the frequency domain. A lower sampling rate will result in aliasing, which introduces errors in the reconstructed signal.

5. How does the minimum sampling rate for Fourier signal impact the quality of the reconstructed signal?

The minimum sampling rate for Fourier signal directly affects the quality of the reconstructed signal. A lower sampling rate will result in loss of information and a less accurate representation of the original signal. On the other hand, a higher sampling rate can improve the resolution and fidelity of the reconstructed signal.