How Does Friction Cause the Bottom Block to Move with the Top Block?

In summary, a 2 kg block rests on a horizontal frictionless surface, and is initially at rest. A 1 kg block rests on top of the 2kg and initially moving at v=3m/s (to the right). A force is applied to the top block such as to keep it always moving at the same velocity. If the top block is pushed to the right, the friction from the bottom block will push to the left.
sideman123

Homework Statement

a 2 kg block rests on a horizontal frictionless surface, and is initially at rest. a 1 kg block rests on top of the 2kg and initially moving at v=3m/s (to the right). the coefficients of friction between he two blocks are MUs=.2 and MUk=.1 . A force is applied to the top block such as to keep it always moving at the same velocity. you can assume the top block never falls off the bottom block. what will the bottom block do?

the answer is always move at a constant speed to the right.

i don't understand this. i know friction exists between the top and bottom block, but how does that get the bottom block to move with the top block to the right. I generally believed friction acts in the opposite direction of which the force is applied?

if it would help, i can post a picture

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I don't understand the problem. Are the two blocks moving together? Is the top block sliding along the bottom block? Why is a force needed to keep the blocks moving on a frictionless surface?

Sure, post a picture.

see the pics-

thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-07 at 3.44.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-07 at 3.44.57 PM.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 461
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-07 at 3.44.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-07 at 3.44.52 PM.png
    6 KB · Views: 469
sideman123 said:
i know friction exists between the top and bottom block, but how does that get the bottom block to move with the top block to the right. I generally believed friction acts in the opposite direction of which the force is applied?
Friction acts to prevent or oppose slipping between surfaces. If the top block is pushed to the right, the friction from the bottom block will push to the left. And if the bottom block exerts a friction force on the top block, then the top block will exert an equal and opposite friction force on the bottom block--to the right, in this case.

That said, I still don't understand the problem.

A free-body diagram always helps...
The external force and friction from the bottom block act on the top block. The top block does not accelerate, so the kinetic friction is balanced by the external force.
Only friction from the top block acts on the bottom block. It accelerates till it reaches the speed of the top block when the friction becomes static.

ehild

(Edited)

Last edited:
It is just a relative motion.
To the block below, there's a motion to the left relative to the above block(to the right).
Thus static frictional force is in direction of the top block. Not in direction as you assume.
The static friction will balance this until acceleration greater than μsg.

Last edited:

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces that interact with each other.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either slow down or stop the motion of an object. It also helps to provide grip and prevent slipping. In some cases, friction can also cause wear and tear on surfaces.

3. What factors can affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the relative motion between the surfaces. Rougher surfaces, higher pressure, and greater motion all result in higher friction.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants such as oil or grease, which create a slippery layer between the surfaces. Smoother surfaces and reducing the force pressing the surfaces together can also decrease friction.

5. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from sliding against each other, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are already in motion. Kinetic friction is typically lower than static friction.