Branes Colliding: Exploring the Possibility of Multiple Universes

• Thread starter Gold Barz
  • Start date
In summary, branes are an extension of string theory and are believed to be membranes in a higher dimensional world. The theory suggests that these branes can collide, producing the conditions for a Big Bang in each universe. However, this is still a speculative idea and does not have experimental evidence to support it. It is also unclear if the laws of these higher dimensional universes would be different from our own.
Gold Barz
Are "Branes" = Universes?

When they say "branes" colliding to make a universe...do they mean universes crashing into each other to make a brand new universe?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes - what you might call a "hair-brane" scheme?
Actually they don't make a new universe, they have an impact on each other and produce the conditions required for a Big Bang in each.

Garth

Last edited:
So in a brane there is a universe or is it the other way around?

Branes are an extension of string theory. Since string theory is still looking for an experimental leg to stand on, the notion of colliding branes mostly just bruises mine.

but are branes = universes or are they not the same, i guess my question is do we live in a brane?

Yes - As Chronos said it is very speculative, however the idea is that our universe is a membrane in a higher dimensional world together with other membranes - or "branes" for short. They move around and occasionally collide with each other producing an effect that we observe in our membrane as a Big Bang. The theory is able to produce a lot of the characteristics of our universe observed to emerge from the Big Bang, however the collision itself has to be very carefully set up and therefore you can argue whether it actually explains anything at all!
Garth

Thank you Garth, and would the higher dimension universes have different laws, I would assume that they would

My lay impression of what branes and strings are after they were explained to me is that they are "made" out of whatever spacetime is "made" out of. That they are just geometric objects that arise out of "math" and "logic." That they are more location than object.

I actually have no clue what they may be. If they are "made of" something, then they aren't fundamental.

?

Gold Barz said:
Thank you Garth, and would the higher dimension universes have different laws, I would assume that they would
God knows!

1. What are branes and how are they related to universes?

Branes, short for membranes, are theoretical objects in string theory that exist in higher dimensions. They can be thought of as sheets or membranes that have a thickness and can vibrate. Some theories propose that our 3-dimensional universe is just one of many branes floating in a higher dimensional space.

2. Are branes and universes the same thing?

No, branes and universes are not the same thing. Branes are objects in string theory, while universes refer to the entirety of space, time, matter, and energy that we can observe. Some theories suggest that universes can be created from the collision of branes, but they are not synonymous.

3. How do branes and universes relate to the Big Bang theory?

Branes and universes are not directly related to the Big Bang theory. The Big Bang theory explains the origin of our universe as a singularity that expanded and evolved over time. However, some theories suggest that the Big Bang was the result of a collision between two branes in a higher-dimensional space.

4. Can we observe branes or universes?

As of now, there is no direct evidence for the existence of branes or other universes beyond our own. These are still theoretical concepts that are being explored through mathematics and theoretical physics. However, some scientists are working on experiments that could potentially provide evidence for the existence of branes or other universes.

5. Are there any implications for our understanding of the universe if branes are proven to exist?

Yes, if branes are proven to exist, it would significantly change our understanding of the universe. It would suggest that our 3-dimensional universe is just one of many possible universes, and there could be other dimensions and realities beyond what we can perceive. It would also have implications for theories like the Big Bang and the origin of the universe.