How to solve this system of Differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a non-linear system of differential equations with known functions and constants. The speaker is trying to solve for unknown variables at a specific time using the Newton Raphson method, but it is not converging. They are looking for recommendations for alternative methods, specifically using MATLAB and implementing F and B functions as Heaviside functions. They also mention using a numerical scheme like RK4. They are asked to provide their code for further advice.
revooridinesh
I have equations as
C1*y1' = F*C2*y2 - C3*y1
y2' = C4 -B* C5*y3 - C6*y1
y2-C7=x(t)*y3

X(t) is a known function
where F = 0 when y3<y1
1 when y3>y1
B=0 when C7<y3
1 when C7>y3

C's are constants

so what I am thinking is at time t1 i will get the values for F and B depending on previous values and X value will be known and I need the solution for the unknowns at time t1. I tried solving this by Newton raphshon method but the solution is not converging. Are there any MATLAB commands for this like ODE 23 OR any new solution is welcomed

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey revooridinesh and welcome to the forums.

This is definitely a non-linear system of DE's so you won't be able to use something like an integral transform as easily.

What I recommend is if you use MATLAB, you use a scheme like say RK4 and then implement your F and B functions as Heaviside functions.

The idea is that you have a function representing the derivative of all your functions (y1,y2,y3) as a function of the current values of each function. You then use a scheme (like RK4, but it could be any decent numerical scheme) to get the new values at some later step-size.

If you are using MATLAB, maybe you should show us what your code is doing so people can make specific comments on it.

1. What is a system of differential equations?

A system of differential equations is a set of equations that involve one or more derivatives of unknown functions. These equations describe the relationships between the derivatives and the functions themselves.

2. How do I solve a system of differential equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of differential equations, including separation of variables, elimination, and substitution. The specific method used will depend on the structure of the equations and any initial conditions given.

3. Can all systems of differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all systems of differential equations have analytical solutions. In some cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solutions. However, there are certain types of systems that can be solved analytically, such as linear systems with constant coefficients.

4. What are initial conditions and why are they important?

Initial conditions are values given for the dependent variables at a specific point in time (or other independent variable). They are important because they help determine the specific solution to the system of differential equations. Without initial conditions, the solution would only be a general solution.

5. Can a system of differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system of differential equations can have multiple solutions. This often occurs when the system is nonlinear or when there are multiple sets of initial conditions given. In these cases, it is important to carefully check the solutions to ensure they satisfy all of the differential equations in the system.