Conservation of energy problem child slides down at angle? check my asnwers?

In summary: You found the work by friction, but you didn't add the work due to change in potential energy (which should have a negative sign).
nchin
A child whose weight is 267 N slides down a 6.10 m playground slide that makes an angle of 20.0° with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between slide and child is 0.10.

(a) How much energy is transferred to thermal energy?

(b) If she starts at the top with a speed of 0.534 m/s, what is her speed at the bottom?

my attempt:

a)267sin30° - 0.1 x 267 cos 20° = 108.410 J

b) ƩW = 1/2m(v final)^(2) - 1/2m(v initial)^(2)

108.410 J = 1/2m(v final)^(2) - 2.845J

111.255 = 1/2m(v final)^(2)

...v final = 2.858 m/s

The answers are
a) 153 J
b) 5.45 m/s

im not sure what I am doing wrong. can someone please help?

thanks!

EDIT:

I figure out what i did wrong for part a.

the answer is just mu n
0.1x267cos(20)x6.1 = 153.047

I still don't understand part b!? help please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't factor in the change in potential energy.

frogjg2003 said:
You didn't factor in the change in potential energy.

im not sure what you mean. do u mind showing me the steps?

The child slides down the slide. That means her height decreased by some amount. She's under the influence of gravity, so she lost some potential energy. The work by friction becomes W=ΔKE+ΔPE.

For part b, you can use the conservation of energy equation again, but this time use the speed at the top of the slide (0.534 m/s) as the initial speed and the final speed at the bottom as the unknown.

So, we have:

ƩW = 1/2m(v final)^(2) - 1/2m(v initial)^(2)

108.410 J = 1/2m(v final)^(2) - 0.5(267)(0.534)^(2)

Solving for v final, we get:

v final = 5.45 m/s

Therefore, the child's speed at the bottom of the slide is 5.45 m/s.

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to a problem child sliding down at an angle?

In the case of a problem child sliding down at an angle, the conservation of energy applies by stating that the total energy of the child at the top of the slide (potential energy) will be equal to the total energy of the child at the bottom of the slide (kinetic energy), neglecting any external forces such as friction.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy in this scenario?

The factors that affect the conservation of energy in this scenario include the mass of the child, the angle of the slide, and the initial velocity of the child. These factors determine the potential energy and kinetic energy of the child, which must be equal according to the conservation of energy.

4. How can we calculate the conservation of energy in this scenario?

To calculate the conservation of energy in this scenario, we can use the equation: Potential Energy (PE) = Kinetic Energy (KE). The potential energy is equal to the mass of the child multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the height of the slide. The kinetic energy is equal to half the mass of the child multiplied by the square of the velocity. By equating these two energies, we can solve for the velocity of the child at the bottom of the slide.

5. What are some real-life applications of the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is applicable in many real-life scenarios, including the movement of objects on ramps, roller coasters, and pendulum swings. It is also used in engineering design, such as in the construction of buildings and bridges, to ensure that energy is conserved and structures are stable. Additionally, it is crucial in understanding and predicting natural phenomena, such as the movement of planets and stars in space.