Finding the area of the region

• Thread starter ProBasket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the definition of area is the measure of the surface or space that a region covers, typically measured in square units. The area of a rectangle can be calculated by multiplying its length by its width, using the formula A = l * w. To find the area of a region with irregular shapes, it can be divided into smaller, simpler shapes and their individual areas can be added together. The unit for measuring area can vary, but it is typically represented in square units. The area of a region cannot be negative, as it always represents a positive value.
ProBasket
find the area of the region

[tex]y=e^{4x}[/tex]
[tex]y=e^{6x}[/tex]

first thing i did was set them equal to each other and multiply by [tex]ln[/tex] which got me 4x=6x, that's where i got stuck. how would i find the x-intercepts?

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you mean? what area? function doesn't have area...

EDIT:
These two function intersect at 1 point (0,1) only...

Last edited:
ProBasket said:

[tex]y=e^{4x}[/tex]
[tex]y=e^{6x}[/tex]

first thing i did was set them equal to each other and multiply by [tex]ln[/tex] which got me 4x=6x, that's where i got stuck. how would i find the x-intercepts?

1. You can't multiply by [itex]ln[/itex]. Its an operator. :smile:
2. The exponential function is strictly increasing over the whole real line. There's no way it takes the same value twice (unless its of the form e^{periodic function} which it isn't in your case).
3. Drawing proper graphs for both functions referred to the same set of orthogonal axes might help. How fast do the functions grow?

Last edited:
ProBasket said:

[tex]y=e^{4x}[/tex]
[tex]y=e^{6x}[/tex]

[tex]Area = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} ( e^{6x} - e^{4x} ) \delta x [/tex]
where [tex]x_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2[/tex] should found from
[tex]e^{4x} = e^{6x}[/tex]

Last edited:
Assuming you mean "the area of the region between the graphs of" e4x and e6x, you are going to need at least one more boundary. Those two graphs cross, of course, at x= 0, y= 1 but not at any other point. Those two graphs do not define a region.

1. What is the definition of area?

The area of a region is the measure of the surface or space that it covers, typically measured in square units.

2. How is the area of a rectangle calculated?

The area of a rectangle is calculated by multiplying its length by its width. This can be represented by the formula: A = l * w, where A is the area, l is the length, and w is the width.

3. How can I find the area of a region with irregular shapes?

To find the area of a region with irregular shapes, you can divide the shape into smaller, simpler shapes such as triangles, rectangles, and circles. Then, calculate the area of each individual shape and add them together to find the total area of the region.

4. What is the unit for measuring area?

The unit for measuring area can vary, but it is typically represented in square units such as square inches, square feet, square meters, or square kilometers.

5. Can the area of a region be negative?

No, the area of a region cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space that a region occupies.