Math knowledge required to fully understand physics

In summary, to be able to solve physics problems at that level you need a solid understanding of algebra.
donaldtran
Hello everyone!
I am a high school student who is in grade 10. I've developed a passion in Math and Physics, and I intend to be an engineer in the future. However, I don't feel satisfied with the Physics knowledge I've picked up from school, so I seek the book Physics for Scientists and Engineers. Nonetheless, I find that in order to study that book, I must have a considerable amount of Maths such as Calculus, which at the moment I do not learn at school. And the Maths knowledge I've learned at school is not difficult at all.
Therefore, I'd like to seek some advice on which Maths book I need to study in order to FULLY understand concepts of Physics. I realize that I need to brush upon Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry and to learn Calculus.
I identify my level now as Pre-Intermediate.

Thank you so much !
P/S: I'm an Asian student

Physics news on Phys.org
to fully understand physics you need to know group theory, tensor calculus, complex analysis, partial differential equations and programming.

did you mean to phrase your question a different way? maybe "knowing introductory physics adequately" would be a better way to put it.

I mean to understand physics at precollegiate level

Calculus would be the natural thing to study at this point.

Have you heard about complex numbers? You could study that too. And maybe some probability theory.

donaldtran said:

A book with a title like "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" is generally considered to be at first-year college or university level in the US. Maybe it's different in your country.

donaldtran said:

To be able to solve physics problems at that level, you need a solid understanding of algebra. As you further your education you'll need calculus and beyond, but for now I advise you to focus on algebra.

lisab said:
To be able to solve physics problems at that level, you need a solid understanding of algebra. As you further your education you'll need calculus and beyond, but for now I advise you to focus on algebra.

+1

But I do advise the OP to start calculus as soon as he's comfortable with algebra, trig and geometry. Physics is much nicer if you know calculus. And the faster you know calculus, the more options you will have.

Things may be different in other countries, and even in other parts of the US, but many of my beginning college students (even not-so-beginning ones) have had trouble with things like "solve ##L = L_0 / \sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}## for v". Give them something like "##5.00 = 2.00 / \sqrt{1 - 0.75v^2}## and they can do it, maybe with some effort. But I've had students ask me about the first one, "How do I do that? There aren't any numbers!" I have to explain that I want them to re-arrange the equation to get v all by itself on one side. They don't do that sort of thing a lot in algebra classes in at least some high schools, apparently. But we do it all the time in physics, even when we know the numbers!

1. What level of math knowledge is required to understand physics?

The level of math knowledge required to fully understand physics varies depending on the specific topic or concept being studied. However, a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and calculus is typically necessary. Some advanced topics in physics may also require knowledge of more advanced mathematical concepts such as differential equations or linear algebra.

2. Can I study physics without a strong background in math?

While it is possible to study basic concepts in physics without a strong background in math, a deeper understanding of more complex topics will be limited without a strong foundation in mathematical principles. Math is the language of physics, and without it, many concepts and equations in physics cannot be fully understood.

3. Can I learn math and physics simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to learn math and physics simultaneously. In fact, many physics courses incorporate math concepts and equations into their curriculum. It is important to have a strong understanding of basic math principles before diving into more complex physics concepts, as they build upon each other.

4. Do I need to be a math genius to understand physics?

No, you do not need to be a math genius to understand physics. While a strong aptitude for math is helpful, anyone can learn and understand physics with enough practice and dedication. It is important to have a willingness to learn and a strong work ethic in order to fully grasp the mathematical concepts involved in physics.

5. What resources are available to improve my math knowledge for physics?

There are many resources available to improve math knowledge for physics, including textbooks, online tutorials, videos, and practice problems. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher, mentor, or tutor who can provide personalized instruction and support. Consistent practice and a positive attitude are key to improving math skills for physics.