Energy Conservation - Understand Mass & Reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of energy conservation in reactions. The speaker is seeking help in understanding how to determine if the energy conservation is correct in a reaction, using the example of the reaction p + p > p + n + e+ + ve. They mention their understanding of baryon number, lepton number, and electric charge conservation, but are unsure about energy conservation. They have searched the internet for information but have not found a helpful resource. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to read pages 72-76 from D.J. Griffiths' book "Introduction to Elementary Particles" for further understanding.
r3za
Hi,

I had a question about reactions. I actually know how the baryon number, the lepton number, and the electric charge conservation works for reactions, but what i do not understand is the energy conservation. I searched the whole web for it, but there was no page where I could understand the stuff.

i know that it has something to do with mass, that the mass of a neutron is higher than that of a proton.

For example: p + p > p + n ... i know that the electric charge is not correct, so I need a positron, but then the lepton number is not correct, so i need a ve.

>> p + p > p + n + e+ + ve ... but what about the energy, how can i find out if the energy conservation is oki, and what I have to add to make it work?

It would be really cool if someone could help me out here! :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of 4momentum in a Feynman diagram (scattering or decay process) is fundamental.

Read pages 72 pp.76 from D.J.Griffiths' "Introduction to elementary particles",Harper & Row,1987.

Daniel.

Hi there,

I'm glad to hear that you have a good understanding of the conservation laws for baryon number, lepton number, and electric charge in reactions. As you mentioned, energy conservation is also an important factor in reactions and it is closely related to mass conservation.

In the example you provided, p + p > p + n + e+ + ve, the energy conservation can be checked by using the equation E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation tells us that mass and energy are equivalent, and therefore must be conserved in reactions.

In this reaction, the mass of the initial particles (two protons) is greater than the mass of the final particles (one proton, one neutron, one positron, and one neutrino). This means that some mass has been converted into energy, which is why you need to add a positron and a neutrino to balance the equation. The energy released from this conversion of mass is what keeps the reaction going and is ultimately conserved.

To check if the energy conservation is correct, you can calculate the total energy of the initial particles and compare it to the total energy of the final particles. If they are equal, then energy conservation is satisfied. Keep in mind that the energy in a reaction can take different forms, such as kinetic energy, thermal energy, and electromagnetic energy.

I hope this helps to clarify the role of energy conservation in reactions. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Happy learning!

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the practice of reducing the amount of energy used in order to preserve natural resources and protect the environment. It involves using energy more efficiently and finding alternative sources of energy to reduce our dependence on non-renewable resources.

2. Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important for several reasons. First, it helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the impacts of climate change. Second, it helps to preserve natural resources and protect the environment. Third, it can save individuals and businesses money on energy bills. Finally, it can reduce our dependence on foreign sources of energy.

3. How does understanding mass and reactions contribute to energy conservation?

Understanding mass and reactions is important for energy conservation because it helps us to understand how energy is transferred and transformed in different systems. By understanding the principles of conservation of mass and energy, we can identify ways to reduce energy waste and improve efficiency in various processes.

4. What are some examples of energy conservation in everyday life?

There are many ways to conserve energy in everyday life, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, carpooling or using public transportation, and properly insulating homes and buildings. Conserving energy can also involve lifestyle changes, such as using reusable items instead of disposable ones, eating locally-grown food, and supporting renewable energy sources.

5. How can individuals and businesses contribute to energy conservation?

Individuals and businesses can contribute to energy conservation in various ways. Some examples include reducing energy consumption through efficient practices, investing in renewable energy sources, using energy-efficient technologies, and supporting policies and initiatives that promote energy conservation. Education and awareness are also important for encouraging behavior changes that can contribute to energy conservation.