Calculate Astronaut's Velocity After Throwing Oxygen Tank | Outer Space Question

• Thread starter Mike667
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, using the conservation of momentum formula, the astronaut's velocity after throwing the oxygen tank is -1.9 m/s, with the negative sign indicating that the astronaut moves backwards. The formula used was 120/63. However, both -1.9 m/s and -9.1 m/s are valid answers, as the question is given in terms of speed and asks for velocity.
Mike667

Homework Statement

A 63 kg astronaut at rest in space throws a 10 kg oxygen tank with a speed of 12 m/s. What is the velocity of the astronaut immediately after throwing the tank?

Which formula would I use to solve this? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike667 said:

Homework Statement

A 63 kg astronaut at rest in space throws a 10 kg oxygen tank with a speed of 12 m/s. What is the velocity of the astronaut immediately after throwing the tank?

Which formula would I use to solve this? Thanks in advance.

Conservation of momentum. Here, the total momentum before was zero. so th etotal momentum after will be zero.

Yes, that's what i was thinking. thanks again.

Is the answer 1.9 m/s?

I get ...120/63.

denverdoc said:
I get ...120/63.

oh really?:rolleyes:

actually, its -1.9 m/s because the astronaut goes backwards.

Last edited:
Mike667 said:

actually, its -9.1 m/s because the astronaut goes backwards.

I think you may mean -1.9m/s

Haha, yeah ill change it.

Mike667 said:

actually, its -9.1 m/s because the astronaut goes backwards.

Yes, and I actually chose the sign convention as such. Good lord trying to be helpful. And you'll notice, the question states the problems in terms of speed and asks for velocity. Either answer is correct.

1. How do you calculate an astronaut's velocity after throwing an oxygen tank in outer space?

To calculate an astronaut's velocity after throwing an oxygen tank in outer space, you would need to use Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration. The mass of the astronaut and the oxygen tank, as well as the force applied by the throw, would need to be taken into consideration to calculate the resulting velocity.

2. What factors affect the velocity of the astronaut after throwing the oxygen tank?

The velocity of the astronaut after throwing the oxygen tank would be affected by the mass of the astronaut and the oxygen tank, as well as the force applied by the throw. Other factors that could potentially affect the velocity include any external forces acting on the astronaut, such as gravity or air resistance.

3. Can the velocity of the astronaut be negative after throwing the oxygen tank?

Yes, the velocity of the astronaut can be negative after throwing the oxygen tank. This would occur if the force applied by the throw is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity of the astronaut. This negative velocity could also be affected by any external forces acting on the astronaut.

4. How does the velocity of the astronaut change as the oxygen tank is thrown?

The velocity of the astronaut would change as the oxygen tank is thrown according to Newton's Second Law of Motion. The force applied by the throw would accelerate the astronaut, increasing their velocity until the force is no longer applied or an external force acts in the opposite direction.

5. Is there a maximum velocity that the astronaut can reach after throwing the oxygen tank?

Yes, there is a maximum velocity that the astronaut can reach after throwing the oxygen tank. This velocity would depend on the mass of the astronaut and the oxygen tank, as well as the force applied by the throw. It would also be affected by any external forces acting on the astronaut, such as gravity or air resistance. In a vacuum, the maximum velocity would be limited only by the force of the throw and the mass of the astronaut and oxygen tank.