Software for drawing lines, squares, curves etc.

In summary, for simple 2D images that don't have to be aesthetically pleasing, Microsoft Visio and Dia are recommended. Both programs allow for drawing with a mouse and have the capability to smooth out curves. Additionally, Dia allows for rotating shapes and saving in various formats. Excel may also be useful for basic drawing needs.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I need something that I can use to draw a few simple 2D images, that don't have to look pretty. I really mean "draw" (with the mouse) and not generate from a formula, and a minimum requirement is that the program can at least let me try to draw a smooth curve with the mouse and then smooth it out for me, so it looks roughly like something I could have drawn with a pencil. (I don't think MsPaint can do that). It would also be nice (but not necessary) if I can select a shape I have drawn and rotate it by any angle.

Physics news on Phys.org
paint.net is bit better than mspaint

Thanks guys. Paint.net looks like it's just for editing photos. Dia appears to be good enough for my current purposes.

I've found Excel pretty useful for some basic drawing.

1. What is "Software for drawing lines, squares, curves etc."?

"Software for drawing lines, squares, curves etc." is a type of computer program that allows users to create digital drawings and designs by using various tools and functions to create lines, squares, curves, and other shapes. It is commonly used in graphic design, digital art, and other visual media industries.

2. What are the basic features of software for drawing lines, squares, curves etc.?

The basic features of software for drawing lines, squares, curves etc. include a wide range of drawing tools such as pencils, brushes, and shapes, as well as functions for adjusting color, size, and other details of the drawing. It also allows users to select, move, and manipulate different elements of the drawing.

3. Is software for drawing lines, squares, curves etc. easy to use?

Most software for drawing lines, squares, curves etc. is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive, with a simple interface and easy-to-learn tools and functions. However, the complexity of the software may vary depending on the specific program and the user's level of experience with digital drawing.

4. Can I use software for drawing lines, squares, curves etc. for professional purposes?

Yes, software for drawing lines, squares, curves etc. is commonly used by professional graphic designers, artists, and other visual media professionals for creating digital illustrations, logos, product designs, and more. It offers a wide range of advanced tools and features to help users create high-quality and professional-looking designs.

5. Are there free options for software for drawing lines, squares, curves etc.?

Yes, there are many free options for software for drawing lines, squares, curves etc. Some popular choices include GIMP, Inkscape, and Krita. These programs offer many of the same features as paid software, making them great options for beginners or those on a budget.