Question from the proof in euler's forumla

• Thread starter lifom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: This will always result in a number between -1 and 1. So, if m is a prime number, then bj=1 and B=1. If m is not a prime number, then bj^2>1 and B=-1.
lifom
Let b1,b2,...bn be the integers between 1 and m that are relative prime to m (including 1), and let B = b1*b2*...*bn be their product. The quantity B came up during the proof of euler formula. a^n = 1 (mod m), where n is number of integers between 1 and m that relative prime to m.

How can I show B=1 (mod m ) or B = -1(mod m)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen Wilson's theorem? This states that (p-1)!=-1 (mod p) for prime p.

Can you adjust the proof so that it also works in this case?

micromass said:
Have you seen Wilson's theorem? This states that (p-1)!=-1 (mod p) for prime p.

Can you adjust the proof so that it also works in this case?

I have tried, but fail in the last step:
In Wilson's proof, the number satisfy a^2=1(mod p) -> (a-1)(a+1) = p*n. Since 0<=a<p
a= 1 or p-1 only. So for 2,3,...,p-2, I can group them into pairs without repeat such that the pair product = 1 (mod p)...

But in my problem, the number satisfy a^2=1(mod m) does not imply a=1 or m-1 since m is a composite number. (e.g. 3^2=1(mod 8))

I also modify my proof. Consider B^2=b1^2*b2^2*...bn^2. I have showed that for each bi, there exist unique bj such that bi*bj=1 (mod m) (similar to Wilson’s proof). Although we don't know bi is equal to bj or not.

So I divide the number into 2 groups,
1st group: bi*bj=1 (mod m) for i <>j
2nd group: bi*bj=1 (mod m) for i = j

So B^2 = 1 (mod m) but the same problem occurs,
It cannot be concluded that B= 1 or -1(mod m)

Well, you could show the following:

For each bi, there exists a bj such that bibj=1 (mod m). If bi happens to equal bj, then there exists a br such that bibr=-1 (mod m).

So you can group the product into pairs again. Some pairs will multiply to 1 and some will multiply to -1.

micromass said:

For each bi, there exists a bj such that bibj=1 (mod m). If bi happens to equal bj, then there exists a br such that bibr=-1 (mod m).

So you can group the product into pairs again. Some pairs will multiply to 1 and some will multiply to -1.

I get it! Thanks.

micromass said:

If bj^2 = 1 mod m then bj *(m -bj) = -1 mod m

Last edited:

1. What is Euler's formula?

Euler's formula, also known as Euler's identity, is a mathematical equation that relates the complex exponential function to the trigonometric functions. It is written as e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x), where e is the base of natural logarithms, i is the imaginary unit, x is any real number, and cos(x) and sin(x) are the cosine and sine functions, respectively.

2. Who discovered Euler's formula?

Euler's formula was discovered by the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. He is considered one of the greatest mathematicians in history and made significant contributions to various fields of mathematics, including number theory, calculus, and geometry.

3. What is the significance of Euler's formula?

Euler's formula is significant because it provides a fundamental connection between the seemingly unrelated concepts of complex numbers and trigonometry. It is also used in many areas of mathematics and physics, such as in the study of waves, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

4. How is Euler's formula derived?

Euler's formula can be derived using Taylor series expansions of the exponential, cosine, and sine functions. By combining these expansions and using properties of complex numbers, the formula can be derived.

5. What are some real-world applications of Euler's formula?

Euler's formula has various real-world applications, such as in electrical engineering for analyzing AC circuits, in signal processing for analyzing signals, and in quantum mechanics for describing the behavior of particles. It is also used in computer graphics for creating smooth animations and in music theory for understanding the relationships between different musical notes.