Three privileged directions in the universe

• Thread starter exponent137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, Webb et al's article "Evidence for spatial variation of the fine structure constant" discusses the existence of a direction where the fine structure constant is the smallest and the opposite direction where it is the largest. This direction may have significance in relation to the direction of our group of galaxies, which is currently moving towards Virgo. The article also mentions a possible direction of asymmetry in the background radiation, although it is not clear how this relates to the direction mentioned earlier. The article presents evidence that this direction is at ascension 17.3+-0.6 hours and declination -61+-9 degrees, which is not in the direction of our group of galaxies or the galactic center. There is also mention of a
exponent137
Webb et al wrote article "Evidence for spatial variantion of the fine structure constant".
http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.3907.
As I understand, there exists direction where fine structure constant is the smallest and the opposite direction, where it is the largest.

Do maybe these directions have and meaning, maybe direction of our group of galaxies?
Our group of galaxies is flying toward Virgo with 700 km/s. How it is direction in the article declined from this direction?
Maybe one direction of asymmetry of background radiation also exist? What is this direction?
How it is declined from the direction in the article?
Regards

Astronomy news on Phys.org
From the article is evident that
ascension 17,3 +- 0,6 hours,
declination -61 +- 9 degrees
It also visible that this direction is galactic equator (but not in the center of our galaxy).

This is not in direction of Virgo, where declination is close to 0. I do not know for ascension?

But, does exist any such direction for cosmic background radiation?

Woo woo is the first thing that comes to mind.

There is a dipole in the CMB, that only suggests a preferred direction for motion of the solar system relative to the CMB.

One possibility is that this "fine structure constant measurement" dipole is oriented toward center of our galaxy, where big black hole is oriented. Can curved space have any influence on this measurement?
http://seds.org/messier/more/mw.html
declination -61°(dipole)->-28°(galactic center).

Last edited by a moderator:
How it is now with the status of Webb measurements of changed natural constants. Are they disproved with other measurements?

Can we be realistic here, as in making a point?

Chronos said:
Can we be realistic here, as in making a point?
You can be realistic as much as possible. I believe that this will end similarly as superluminal neutrinos. But I do not know how it is with counter experiments on this topic of Webb?

Last edited:
I think by level of order he is referring to entropy. As for mass coupling, I think what he is asking is why does dark matter have a tendency to collect in greater quantites where there are galaxies or other abudances of matter focused... If that is the case, then your answer is you're thinking about it in reverse. It isn't the dark matter that collects where there is a presence of matter, it is dark matter being clumped in some locations that attracts ordinary matter to those areas as far as I know.

All, I'm not sure of the meaning of some of the language used in this thread, but could I ask, what maybe a simple question: are there alternative views of the data / observations made by Webb et al? I can find material discussing and supporting Webb's position, but I can't find any pointing to (potential) errors or alternative interpretations.

Also, Webb's evidence seems to be (largely) based on spectral absorbation line and differences to these in different directions in the (distant) sky. Therefore could I also ask (as I have not been able to source any material discussing this): how is it known / inferred that the differences come from different values of the fine structure constant, rather than absorbations related to different elements?

Regards,

Noel.

Here is one interesting link about galaxies.
http://phys.org/news/2013-06-video-motions-nearby-universe.html
But, I am interesting in one formalism. Right ascension in this link go from left to right, but in Webb's paper it goes from right to left http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.3907. If we suppose that 24 hour is equal to 360°, are there numbers for right ascension the same? I also noticed that shape of milky way is distinct in both pictures?

p.s. I just found, this paper also write about this phenomenon:
http://alpha.sinp.msu.ru/~panov/Lib/Papers/GEN/1206.4055v2.pdf

Last edited:

What are the three privileged directions in the universe?

The three privileged directions in the universe are the cosmic microwave background radiation, the large-scale structure of the universe, and the axis of rotation of spiral galaxies.

Why are these directions considered privileged?

These directions are considered privileged because they appear to be the same in all directions, indicating a level of uniformity and symmetry in the universe. This challenges the assumption of isotropy, or the idea that the universe is the same in all directions.

What implications do these privileged directions have for our understanding of the universe?

The existence of privileged directions challenges our current understanding of the universe and raises questions about its origins and structure. It also poses challenges for theories such as the Big Bang and inflationary models.

How do scientists study and measure these privileged directions?

Scientists use advanced telescopes and instruments to observe and map the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe. They also study the rotation of spiral galaxies to determine the axis of rotation.

What are some proposed explanations for the existence of these privileged directions?

Some theories suggest that these privileged directions could be a result of gravitational anomalies, quantum fluctuations, or the influence of dark matter. However, further research and evidence are needed to fully understand the nature of these directions in the universe.