Ground state oscillation freq. of H2?

In summary, The ground state oscillation frequency of H2 is the lowest possible frequency at which the two atoms in a hydrogen molecule vibrate when they are in their lowest possible energy state. It is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the hydrogen molecule and is affected by the masses of the atoms, the strength of their bond, and external forces. It differs from other excited state frequencies as it is the lowest possible frequency. The ground state oscillation frequency can be experimentally measured using techniques such as Raman spectroscopy.
mmax121
Does anyone have the most up-to-date zero-point oscillation frequency for a hydrogen molecule? This is not a homework question, I'm thinking about incorporating it into a tattoo someday. I don't wish to have a tattoo with inaccurate info, so any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
mmax121 said:
Does anyone have the most up-to-date zero-point oscillation frequency for a hydrogen molecule? This is not a homework question, I'm thinking about incorporating it into a tattoo someday. I don't wish to have a tattoo with inaccurate info, so any help would be appreciated.

I've read it to be 1.3 x 10^14 hz.

1. What is the ground state oscillation frequency of H2?

The ground state oscillation frequency of H2 is the frequency at which the two atoms in a hydrogen molecule vibrate when they are in their lowest possible energy state, also known as the ground state.

2. How is the ground state oscillation frequency of H2 determined?

The ground state oscillation frequency of H2 is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the hydrogen molecule, which takes into account the masses and charges of the two atoms as well as the strength of their bond.

3. What factors affect the ground state oscillation frequency of H2?

The ground state oscillation frequency of H2 is affected by the masses of the two atoms, the strength of their bond, and any external forces acting on the molecule, such as an electric or magnetic field.

4. How does the ground state oscillation frequency of H2 differ from other excited state frequencies?

The ground state oscillation frequency of H2 is the lowest possible frequency at which the atoms can vibrate, while the excited state frequencies are higher frequencies associated with the molecule being in a higher energy state.

5. Can the ground state oscillation frequency of H2 be experimentally measured?

Yes, the ground state oscillation frequency of H2 can be experimentally measured using techniques such as Raman spectroscopy, which involves shining light on the molecule and measuring the scattered light to determine the frequency at which the molecule is vibrating.