Can Metals React with Water in Addition to Acids?

In summary, the conversation discusses the reaction between metals and acid to form a salt and water. It also questions the possibility of the metal reacting with water, and compares different metals based on their properties. The conversation also touches on the use of sodium in reduction reactions and the importance of considering all reactions in a system when calculating values.
sgstudent
Metals will react with acid to form a salt and water. But won't the metal also react with water to form an hydroxide? Similarly, when I put sodium metal into a zinc sulfate solution will displacement occur or will the sodium react with water? Thanks for the help!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What do you think? Remember that different metals have different properties.Compare,for example,sodium with gold.

Dadface said:
What do you think? Remember that different metals have different properties.Compare,for example,sodium with gold.

Sodium is more reactive so it will react with water? But why won't it displace but instead react with water? Also I'm unsure why won't the sodium also react with water...

Thanks for the help!

Sodium has not time to react with dissolved Zn - it will react with water first, just because of the very high reactivity. Some metals can be reduced with metallic sodium, but it is done not in the solution, but in the molten salts. See for example: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ba-1957-0019.ch014

I seem to remember one of the light elements was first prepared in the pure form bu the sodium reduction, but for the life of me, I can't remember details.

Oh ok. Thanks for the help.:) then also, when I react eg Mg with HCl, Mg+2HCl-->MgCl2+H2. Then when I do the mole calculation I'll use this reactions to determine my values? So I ignore the reaction of metals and water? Reaction:Mg+2H2O-->Mg(OH)2+H2

Last edited:
Even if you have a reaction of Mg with water, it doesn't matter. What happens to the Mg(OH)2 in the presence of acid? What is the overall reaction?

Borek said:
Even if you have a reaction of Mg with water, it doesn't matter. What happens to the Mg(OH)2 in the presence of acid? What is the overall reaction?

I know that it would produce a salt too, but won't the calculations be different?

Write overall reaction equation.

Borek said:
Write overall reaction equation.

Mg+H2O+2HCL>MgCl2+H2+H2O Ohh, the H2O produced would cancel out!

Borek, you are a genius.

Quite the opposite, but I will spare you details.

What is the reaction between metals and acids?

The reaction between metals and acids is a chemical reaction where the metal reacts with the acid, resulting in the formation of a salt and hydrogen gas. The type and rate of the reaction depend on the type of metal and acid used.

Which metals react with acids?

Most metals, including aluminum, zinc, iron, and magnesium, react with acids. However, some metals like gold and silver do not react with most acids.

What are the products of the reaction between metals and acids?

The products of the reaction between metals and acids are a salt and hydrogen gas. The salt formed depends on the type of metal and acid used. For example, when magnesium reacts with hydrochloric acid, magnesium chloride and hydrogen gas are produced.

Why do metals react with acids?

Metals react with acids because they are more reactive than hydrogen. In the reaction, the metal atoms lose electrons to the hydrogen ions in the acid, resulting in the formation of hydrogen gas. This process is known as oxidation.

What factors affect the reaction between metals and acids?

The type of metal and acid used, concentration of the acid, and temperature are some of the factors that can affect the reaction between metals and acids. Metals that are more reactive will have a faster reaction rate, while a higher concentration of acid or higher temperature can speed up the reaction as well.