Creating a magnetic field (vector field)

In summary, the speaker has a question about creating a 3D vector field to represent a magnetic field around a segment of wire with a constant current. They mention using Biot-Savart's law and provide an equation for it. They then discuss difficulties with evaluating the integral for this equation and ask for suggestions or examples.
piscosour00
Hi all,

I have a question for all of you. I've been wanting to make a 3D vector field that would represent a magnetic field (for fun) around some segment of wire with a constant current flowing through it. I'm assuming I have a parametric equation for the wire segment. The one equation that comes to mind is Biot-Savart's law:

[tex] \vec { B } =\frac { { \mu }_{ 0 }I }{ 4\pi } \int { \frac { d\vec { s } \times \hat { r } }{ { r }^{ 2 } } } [/tex]

In practice, I've only ever used Biot-Savart's law to calculate in 2-D, and either the wire segment has been of infinite length, or we were just calculating the electric field at one-point, and the math has been nice. I want to generate a vector field that gives the magnetic field at all points around the wire. Does anyone know how to go about doing this ? What sorts of equations/techniques lend themselves to this ? Any nice examples people can point to (URLs) ?? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I've made some progress:

If I say that any point in R3 can be given by the position vector:

[tex] \vec { p } =[{{ x }_{ 0 }{ ,y }_{ 0 }{ ,z }_{ 0 } } ][/tex]

Since the vectors r and r-hat are vector that points from a point on the wire to the point in R3 at which you want to know the magnetic field, we can write the vector r as:

[tex] \vec { r } =\vec { p } -\vec { s } [/tex]

And therefore r-hat is:

[tex]\hat { r } =\frac { \vec { p } -\vec { s } }{ { |\vec { p } -\vec { s } | } } [/tex]

Where the vector s is the parametrization of the wire, and so Biot-Savart's law can be written as:

[tex] \vec { B } =\frac { { \mu }_{ 0 }I }{ 4\pi } \int { \frac { d\vec { s } \times \hat { r } }{ { r }^{ 2 } } } =\frac { { \mu }_{ 0 }I }{ 4\pi } \int { \frac { d\vec { s } \times (\vec { p } -\vec { s } ) }{ { |\vec { p } -\vec { s } | }^{ 3 } } } [/tex]

This I can now integrate after evaluating the cross product, but it's not an easy integral to evaluate because of the nasty term in the denominator. Does anyone have any ideas for an easier way of evaluating this integral ? I tested this out in Mathematica for the simple case of an infinite wire running along the x-axis, and the resulting 3D vector plot looked right, but even Mathematica took a long time to evaluate the integral. Any ideas ?

Last edited:

1. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, in a specific direction. These moving charges produce a force that creates a magnetic field around them.

2. What materials can create a magnetic field?

Materials that are ferromagnetic, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, can create a magnetic field. Other materials, such as copper and aluminum, can also create a magnetic field when they are exposed to a strong external magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the amount of current flowing in a wire or the strength of an electric charge, the distance from the source of the field, and the permeability of the material the field is passing through.

4. How can I increase the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be increased by increasing the current or charge, decreasing the distance from the source, or using materials with higher permeability. Additionally, coiling the wire or placing the material in a specific orientation can also increase the strength of the magnetic field.

5. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of the field. The unit of measurement for magnetic field strength is Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).