Specifications of active transport.

• Thread starter extremcurious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transport
In summary, Active transport is when a substance moves against a concentration gradient, and ATP is used to do this. Without ATP, the substances would still be transported, but not against their concentration gradient.
extremcurious
In neurons during re-polarization ATP is used to "actively transport" Na ions out of the cell and K ions into the cell. Does this mean that the ions are flowing against their concentration gradient or the word "actively transported" is just used because ATP is used in this process?

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure regarding the direction in which the ions flow during re-polarization but you got to understand two things.

In active transport ions are transported against their concentration gradients and because of that energy (in the form of ATP) is used.

So it is necessary in active transport that a substance MUST move against a concentration gradient?

A drastic change in the concentration isn't required for a change in membrane voltage like that observed during an action potential. This means that the electrochemical gradients are 'pretty much' the same as before, just the slight change has altered the membrane voltage, so moving ions back across requires ATP. The 'turning off' of the flow of ions during an action potential is due to changes in the channels, its not that the gradients have dissipated.

Hope that helps.

extremcurious said:
So it is necessary in active transport that a substance MUST move against a concentration gradient?

I suppose an active transporter would still work and expend energy even if it is transporting a substrate along its concentration gradient.

It's also important to note that not all active transporters use ATP. Some forms of active transport (secondary active transport) move one molecule along its concentration gradient and couple that favorable reaction to the transport of a different molecule against its concentration gradient. For example, the glucose symporter will import two sodium ions into the cell (along their concentration gradient) along with one glucose molecule (against its concentration gradient).

Maybe i am being extremely dumb, but i am still very confused. The problem is that my teacher is saying that during re polarization, Na and K ions don't flow against the concentration gradient. But the word "ACTIVELY TRANSPORTED" is specifically written wherever i have checked about re polarization. And when i told her that, she says it's just because ATP is used that the process is called active transport! Thus my question about specifications of active transport. I would be really grateful for any help.

Albert's Molecular Biology of the Cell textbook defines active transport as "movement of a molecule across a membrane or other barrier driven by energy other than that stored in the electrochemical gradient of the transported molecule." So, transport against a concentration gradient is not a strict requirement for active transport.

WOW! that exactly hit the point! thanks a million for that link as well. U really helped a lot

What is active transport?

Active transport is a process by which cells move molecules or particles across the cell membrane, against the concentration gradient, using energy in the form of ATP.

What is the role of active transport in cells?

Active transport is important for maintaining the proper balance of ions and molecules inside and outside of the cell. It also allows cells to take in necessary nutrients and remove waste products.

What are the types of active transport?

The two main types of active transport are primary active transport, which uses ATP directly, and secondary active transport, which uses the energy from the movement of one molecule down its concentration gradient to transport another molecule against its gradient.

How is active transport different from passive transport?

Active transport requires the use of energy, while passive transport does not. In passive transport, molecules move down their concentration gradient, while active transport allows molecules to move against their gradient.

What factors affect the rate of active transport?

The rate of active transport can be affected by the availability of ATP, the number of transport proteins in the cell membrane, and the concentration gradient of the molecules being transported.