Questions on classical mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conservation of energy and angular momentum in different reference frames. The first question asks about finding a point from which angular momentum is conserved, while the second question explores the relationship between energy conservation and conservative force fields. The conversation also touches on the idea of using the center of mass as the reference point for gravitating systems.
Gavroy
Hi
Question 1
i was wondering if there is any method to find the point from which the angular momentum is a conserved quantity. let me e.g. choose the case of a planet moving in an orbit around the sun. In this case, the angular momentum measured from the center of mass as the point of reference is conserved. But if i choose a different point, that is not exactly on the line connecting the planet and the sun, then the angular momentum is varying with time. so how do i found out how to choose this point, if the system is more complex?

Question 2
if F is a conservative force field, then the energy is conserved. is the converse, the energy is conserved, therefore we have a conservative force field also true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gavroy said:
Hi
Question 1
i was wondering if there is any method to find the point from which the angular momentum is a conserved quantity. let me e.g. choose the case of a planet moving in an orbit around the sun.
To be more precise: the sun and the planet each orbit their common center of mass.
In this case, the angular momentum measured from the center of mass as the point of reference is conserved. But if i choose a different point, that is not exactly on the line connecting the planet and the sun, then the angular momentum is varying with time.
But it is still conserved.
so how do i found out how to choose this point, if the system is more complex?
You mean you want to find a reference frame in which a particular bodies angular momentum is a constant?

Is it not always the center of mass for gravitating systems?

Question 2
if F is a conservative force field, then the energy is conserved. is the converse, the energy is conserved, therefore we have a conservative force field also true?
Kinetic energy is conserved in an elastic collision: is the collision an example of a conservative force field?

Thank you for your answer, but is this a question or an answer?
Simon Bridge said:
Is it not always the center of mass for gravitating systems?

Thank you for your answer, but is this a question or an answer?
That's up to you :) Both - I hope.

It can be hard to tell if a statement followed by a question mark is an actual question or a rhetorical question.
All the questions in post #2 can be safely treated as actual questions. I am posing them as a way to help you clarify your thinking and so find the answers you seek.

Question 1:
There is a general principle in classical mechanics known as the conservation of angular momentum, which states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that the point from which the angular momentum is measured does not affect its conservation. In the case of a planet orbiting the sun, the center of mass is often chosen as the reference point because it simplifies the calculations, but any point can be chosen as long as it remains consistent throughout the analysis. In more complex systems, it may be helpful to choose a reference point that simplifies the equations of motion or is physically meaningful.

Question 2:
Yes, the converse statement is also true. If the energy is conserved in a system, then the force field must be conservative. This is because a conservative force field is one in which the total mechanical energy (kinetic + potential) of a system remains constant. So, if the energy is conserved, it means that the work done by the force is zero, which is a characteristic of a conservative force. However, it is important to note that the converse statement is not always true, as there are non-conservative forces that do not conserve energy (such as friction).

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as particles, bodies, and systems under the influence of forces.

2. Who is considered the father of classical mechanics?

Sir Isaac Newton is often credited as the father of classical mechanics for his groundbreaking work in the 17th century that laid the foundation for the laws of motion and gravity.

3. What are the three laws of classical mechanics?

The three laws of classical mechanics, also known as Newton's laws of motion, are: 1) An object at rest remains at rest and an object in motion remains in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. 2) The force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. 3) For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. How is classical mechanics different from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of microscopic objects, such as atoms and subatomic particles. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics is probabilistic in nature.

5. What are some real-world applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has many practical applications, including the design and analysis of structures, vehicles, and machines, as well as predicting the motion of celestial bodies. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and biomechanics.