What would the products of photolysis degredation of PET plastic be?

by lostminty
Tags: degredation, drinking water, pet plastic, photolysis, plastic, products
lostminty
Oct22-13, 04:47 AM
P: 77
Interested in this because plastic drinking bottles have a taint to them when left out in the sun. I gather its from UV degredation of the PET plastic.

I'd like to find a catalyst that would allow the PET byproducts to be non water soluble/sequester or even evaporate.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
First view of nature-inspired catalyst after ripping hydrogen apart provides insights for better, cheaper fuel cells
Following a protein's travel inside cells is key to improving patient monitoring, drug development
Team helps cancer treatment drugs get past their sticking point
Astronuc
Oct22-13, 06:04 AM
Admin
P: 21,637
Quote Quote by lostminty View Post
Interested in this because plastic drinking bottles have a taint to them when left out in the sun. I gather its from UV degredation of the PET plastic.

I'd like to find a catalyst that would allow the PET byproducts to be non water soluble/sequester or even evaporate.
One has to balance that degradation against the desire for non-leaching of the plastic into the contents and long shelf life.

The exterior surface could be less critical than the interior surface, but it's difficult to treat the interior in a bottle given the geometry.

Here's some research on PET and UV.
Physico-chemical modifications of the DBD and UV irradiation treatments on the PET and PET+TiO2 films
http://134.147.160.41/ispcdocs/ispc1...Papers/497.pdf

See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultravi...ments_and_dyes

Register to reply