What are some nonreactive electrolyte solutions?

by Xtensity
Tags: electrolyte, nonreactive, solutions
Xtensity
Dec14-13, 06:03 PM
P: 98
I have an alcohol that I need to hydrogenate/reduce and I would like to do it electrochemically. The catholyte solutions I am used to using are basic sulfuric acid, but that would not work in this case as it would cause a violent reaction with the alcohol. The alcohol could be reduced with an acid but I would prefer to do it electrochemically as it is much cleaner. I need some sort of electrolyte, either soluble in alcohol or water, that can act as a conductor in this cell, but not react with the alcohol that I am reducing. Following the reduction is the usual workout with an acid-base extraction so there's no worry about difficulty in removing the elctrolyte.

Any ideas?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
First view of nature-inspired catalyst after ripping hydrogen apart provides insights for better, cheaper fuel cells
Following a protein's travel inside cells is key to improving patient monitoring, drug development
Team helps cancer treatment drugs get past their sticking point
Borek
Dec15-13, 02:54 AM
Admin
P: 22,709
Sodium sulfate? Basically any inert salt that won't easily get oxidized nor reduced.

Register to reply