Helium Detection Measurement

by connorp
Tags: detection, helium, measurement
connorp
Jan30-14, 06:06 PM
P: 11
Can someone recommend (if possible) a way to detect the amount of helium in a given enclosed space? I'm designing an experiment in which I will need to measure the amount in an otherwise vacuum.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Fiber-optic microscope will help physicians detect cancer, diseases at early stages
Wind tunnel tests support improved aerodynamic design of B61-12 bomb
Smart sensor technology to combat indoor air pollution
russ_watters
Jan30-14, 06:42 PM
Mentor
P: 21,994
If helium is the only thing in the container, why not just measure the pressure?
nsaspook
Jan30-14, 07:21 PM
P: 492
How to detect the amount depends on the quality of the vacuum and the level of helium in that volume.

Normal Helium mass spectrometer/RGA leak detection methods will work and can be fairly accurate if you have a calibrated measurement device or a calibrated leak to use as a standard.

Find a copy of 'A User's Guide to Vacuum Technology by John F. O'Hanlon" for measurement details.

http://www.lesker.com/newweb/Technic...eaks&init=skip

Wellesley
Jan30-14, 08:32 PM
P: 267

Helium Detection Measurement

Quote Quote by connorp View Post
Can someone recommend (if possible) a way to detect the amount of helium in a given enclosed space? I'm designing an experiment in which I will need to measure the amount in an otherwise vacuum.
Gas Chromatograph or Mass Spectrometer (RGA)
connorp
Jan30-14, 08:42 PM
P: 11
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
If helium is the only thing in the container, why not just measure the pressure?
Oops. Forgot to mention that the experiment would involve the alpha decay of a radioactive source, hence, I need a way to differentiate between alpha particles and helium.
nsaspook
Jan31-14, 09:05 AM
P: 492
Quote Quote by connorp View Post
Oops. Forgot to mention that the experiment would involve the alpha decay of a radioactive source, hence, I need a way to differentiate between alpha particles and helium.
That's out of my level of expertise but to detect helium with a mass spectrometer/RGA you need to ionize it first so it can be accelerated into the mass detector. For charged particles like alphas a silicon detector could be used.

http://www.ortec-online.com/Solution...detectors.aspx

Register to reply