Most Dangerous Action to American Democracy

• News
  • Thread starter ComputerGeek
  • Start date
In summary, the majority of the people believe that Bush has broken the law, and it's the duty of the Democrats to be the opposition party and hold him accountable.

Most Dangerous Action for American Democracy

• Lying to a grand jury about consentual sexual relations

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Warrentless wiretaps on American citizens

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Both are bad, but neither should be impeachable

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Neither are bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both are impeachable

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ComputerGeek
OK, I am reposting the poll with 3 new options.

Thanks for the constructive Criticism.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try adding something serious. Say, the Kennedy-McNamara evasion of statutory requirements that Congress be kept informed of military activities that are underway or contemplated.

I think the comparison between only Clinton and Bush is very relevant. After Watergate our country has been wary. But since Clinton’s acquittal, there has been a great deal of debate on what should be considered an impeachable offense, use of independent council, etc., for example:

The Quest for a Transcendent Foundation of "The Law" in the Discourse of Impeachment
Jochen Schulte-Sasse
Cultural Critique, No. 43, The Politics of Impeachment (Autumn, 1999)

The Clinton 2000 Effect in Perspective: The Impact of Retiring Presidents on Their Parties' Chances of Retaining the White House
Journal article by Martin P. Wattenberg; Presidential Studies Quarterly, Vol. 33, 2003

As I said before, Bush should be thankful to Clinton. Because if Watergate was still the taste in our mouths rather than the Clinton fishing expeditions, there would be far less tolerance toward Bush now.

SOS2008 said:
As I said before, Bush should be thankful to Clinton. Because if Watergate was still the taste in our mouths rather than the Clinton fishing expeditions, there would be far less tolerance toward Bush now.

BINGO. That hits the nail on the head.

Or Roosevelt and packing the USSC. Keep a few real scares in the poll just to keep things in perspective.

SOS2008 said:
I'm not so sure: I think the Democrats are out for revenge and if they found anything they could hang their hat on, they'd push for impeachment in a second.

russ_watters said:
I'm not so sure: I think the Democrats are out for revenge and if they found anything they could hang their hat on, they'd push for impeachment in a second.
The majority consensus it that Bush has broken the law. It is the opposing party’s job to be the opposing party in a democracy (and they best be doing their job if they want to be reelected in 2006). Since all branches of government are Republican controlled, if they push for impeachment it's more like they could be hanging themselves out to dry.

Which is why there is no justice in the real world.

SOS, extremely on point. Russ's surmise is a one legged table; it doesn't have foundation with respect to a republican controlled federal government. :cool:

1. What is considered the most dangerous action to American democracy?

The most dangerous action to American democracy is the suppression of voting rights. This includes any efforts to limit or hinder individuals' ability to vote, such as through voter ID laws, gerrymandering, or purging of voter rolls.

2. How does the suppression of voting rights impact American democracy?

The suppression of voting rights can lead to unequal representation and a lack of diversity in elected officials. It also undermines the principle of "one person, one vote" and can lead to policies that do not reflect the will of the majority of citizens.

3. Who is most affected by voter suppression?

Voter suppression disproportionately affects marginalized communities, such as people of color, low-income individuals, and those with disabilities. These groups often face additional barriers to voting and are more likely to be impacted by voter suppression tactics.

4. How can we combat voter suppression?

There are a few ways to combat voter suppression, such as advocating for fair and transparent election processes, supporting organizations that fight for voting rights, and using your own voice to speak out against voter suppression tactics.

5. What is the role of scientists in addressing the most dangerous actions to American democracy?

Scientists have a responsibility to use their knowledge and expertise to inform the public and policymakers about the impact of voter suppression on democracy. They can also conduct research on the effects of voter suppression and advocate for evidence-based policies that promote fair and equal access to the voting process.