Chinese Remainder Theorem: A Powerful Tool in Number Theory

In summary, the Chinese remainder theorem states that if n is equal to the product of relatively prime numbers m1, m2, ..., mk, then there is an isomorphism from the integers modulo n to the product group (Zm1 x Zm2 x ... x Zmk). This theorem is often used to prove certain mapping isomorphisms and relies on the fact that the map from Zmn to Zm x Zn preserves additive properties. In the context of discrete mathematics, the theorem can be used to prove that ∀x⇁p(x)≡⇁∃x p(x) and ⇁∀xp(x)≡∃x⇁ p(x). Additionally, given the
calvino
Chinese Remainder Theorem!

I'm pretty sure that the following is in fact the Chinese remainder Theorem:

If n= (m1)(m2)...(mk) [basically, product of m's (k of them)]
where each m is relatively prime in pairs, then there is an isomorphism from Zn to ( Zm1 X Zm2 X ... X Zmk). Zn is the integers modulo n.

All the proofs of the chinese remainder theorem I found searching online, are either the ones that focus on modulo, or focus more on ideals (and proving a certain mapping is an isomorphism). How do I go about proving the statement up there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Every time I've seen the CRT, it has to do with modulos, i.e. it is more focused on arithmetic, not groups. In fact, this fact about groups that you're trying to prove typically uses the arithmetic fact that is the CRT to construct the desired isomorphism. The map from Zn to the product group is natural. It's easy to show this map is homomorphic and injective. Surjectivity follows immediately from the CRT.

I forgot to add one thing. The isomorphism in the conclusion is a ring isomorphism...

Ok, well I somewhat see what you're saying AKG. A little more studying and I should get it. What confuses me though, is that relative primality is not transitive. So I'm not sure IF or HOW i can even get to defining the mapping properly. I guess I'm not sure what you mean by the mapping being natural.

The map is a group isomorphism, where the proof is made easy by the CRT, so this map preserves the additive properties. I haven't tried to do it, but you can check whether or not this map also preserves multiplication, thereby deciding whether it is a ring isomorphism.

But first, you need to know what the map is. If m and n are relatively prime, then the map from Zmn to Zm x Zn is defined by:

[tex]x (\mbox{mod }mn) \mapsto (x (\mbox{mod }m), x (\mbox{mod }n))[/tex]

So take m = 3, n = 2. We get:

[tex]0 \mapsto (0,0)[/tex]
[tex]1 \mapsto (1,1)[/tex]
[tex]2 \mapsto (2,0)[/tex]
[tex]3 \mapsto (0,1)[/tex]
[tex]4 \mapsto (1,0)[/tex]
[tex]5 \mapsto (2,1)[/tex]

Last edited:
calvino said:
What confuses me though, is that relative primality is not transitive.

What has this to do with anything?

Given Z/mZ there is only one possible way you can even begin to write down a map to Z/aZ x Z/bZ x... Z/cZ, and it sends x to (x,x,..,x).

If a,b,..c divide m this map is well defined.

If m=a*b*..*c and a,b,..,c are pairwise coprime then this map is invertible by the chinese remainder theorem.

In fact you don't even strictly need this: it is injective and counting elements tells you it is therefore an bijection.

It is easy to show it is also a homomorphism in this case.

I have these two questions in discrete mathematics and I need your help to answer it….
Proof that ∀x⇁p(x)≡⇁∃x p(x)
And
Proof that ⇁∀xp(x)≡∃x⇁ p(x)
Let R be the relation on the set {1,2,3,4,5} containing the order pairs(1,1) ,(1,2) (1,3) ,(2,3) (2,4) ,(3,1) (3,4) ,(3,5) ,(4,2) (4,5) ,(5,1) (5,2) ,and(5,4),Find
R^3
R^4
R^5

What is the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem is a mathematical principle that allows us to solve a system of linear congruences. It states that if we have a set of equations with different moduli that are pairwise relatively prime, then there exists a unique solution that satisfies all of the equations.

What is the significance of the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem has many practical applications in cryptography, number theory, and computer science. It allows us to efficiently solve large systems of congruences, which is essential in fields such as cryptography for encrypting and decrypting messages.

How is the Chinese Remainder Theorem used in cryptography?

In cryptography, the Chinese Remainder Theorem is used to split a large number into smaller numbers that are easier to work with. This is known as the key generation process, and it is used in various encryption algorithms such as the RSA algorithm.

What are the limitations of the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem can only be used when the moduli are pairwise relatively prime. If the moduli are not relatively prime, then the theorem cannot be applied. Additionally, the theorem only applies to systems of linear congruences and cannot be used for other types of equations.

How is the Chinese Remainder Theorem related to the Chinese Remainder Theorem for polynomials?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem for polynomials is a generalization of the original theorem. It states that if we have a system of polynomial equations with coefficients from a commutative ring, then there exists a unique solution that satisfies all of the equations. This generalization allows us to apply the theorem to a wider range of mathematical problems.