Nonlinear First Order Differential Equations

In summary, Arun was taking a self-study diff e course and ran into a problem with no one to ask for help. He wrote the problem sloppily and did not understand how to solve it. He transformed the RHS into (1+x)(1+y^2) and noted that this may be the correct equation for the problem. He then described the process of sepperation of variables and explained that this is the correct equation for the problem. Arun then explained that he has been having the same problem with Firefox and that he just needs to set a setting in Firefox.
JoshHolloway
Hello. I am taking a self study diff e course, and I have run into a problem with no one to ask for help. Here is the problem:
[tex]y\prime=1+x+y^2+xy^2[/tex]

The question asks to find the general solution. I simply don't understand how to solve this problem. Here is the direction I am going in:
[tex]dy=(1+x+y^2+xy^2)dx \Rightarrow
\int dy = \int{dx} \ + \ \int{xdx} \ + \ y^2*\int{dx} \ + \ y^2*\int{xdx} \Rightarrow
y = x + \frac{x^2}{2} + xy^2 + \frac{y^2 x^2}{2} + C[/tex]

Where the heck do I go from here? I can't sepperate the equation, so how do I solve it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is totally wrong. Do you understand what separation of variables is about?
To help you along a bit, note that your right-hand side may easily be transformed:
[itex]1+x+y^{2}+xy^{2}=(1+x)y^{2}[/itex]
Thus, your diff. eq. can be given in the form:
[tex]y'=(1+x)y^{2}[/tex]

First I would like to say that I wrote the problem very sloppily (i am still learning how to write in the math tex), I think I have fixed it if you want to look at it again.

arildno said:
...your right-hand side may easily be transformed:
[itex]1+x+y^{2}+xy^{2}=(1+x)y^{2}[/itex]

I don't understand what you did here.?

Shouldn't [itex](1+x)y^{2} = y^{2}+xy^{2}[/itex]?

Do you mean: [itex](1+x)+(1+x)y^{2} = 1+x+y^{2}+xy^{2}[/itex]

Last edited:
Oh, dear, you're right.
The correct identity is:
[tex]1+x+y^{2}+xy^{2}=(1+x)(1+y^{2})[/tex]
Sorry about that.

The RHS should be transformed into (1+x)(1+y^2).
That's probably what arildno meant to say.

Arun

edit: He's quick to correct himself.

Alright. And then it should go:
[tex](1+y^{2})dy=(1+x)dx[/tex]?

Again:
Do you understand what separation of variables is about?

What the heck am I doing wrong with the LaTex that I wrote in the first post? Why are the equations all on the same line?

Didn't I just separate variables?

Not correctly, anyway.

Oh wait, I should have the reciprocal of (1+y^2) on the left, right?

The double slash option for separating lines in Latex is not available here

[tex]\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dy=(1+x)dx[/tex]

Is this the correct sepperation of variables?

JoshHolloway said:
Oh wait, I should have the reciprocal of (1+y^2) on the left, right?
That's right. :smile:

[tex]\tan^{-1}(y) = x + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + C[/tex]

That is supposed to say arctan(y) on the right, I don't know what I did wrong.

Last edited:
Try:
[tex]\tan^{-1}(y)=...[/tex]

Awesome, I prefer to write it that way anyway.

Hey, I have a question about the LaTex. When I go to edit the LaTex, and then resubmit it to post the edit, the edit doesn't show up. It just shows the same thing as before the edit. I have to restart my computer to see the corrections I make. Do you know what I am doing wrong?

Oh, never mind. It seems to work in IE. I am just having the problem with firefox. It must be some setting I have set wrong with it. Thanks for the speedy help though. I really appreciate it.

JoshHolloway said:
Hey, I have a question about the LaTex. When I go to edit the LaTex, and then resubmit it to post the edit, the edit doesn't show up. It just shows the same thing as before the edit. I have to restart my computer to see the corrections I make. Do you know what I am doing wrong?

You don't need to "restart" your computer! Just click on the "refresh" button (arrows going in a clockwise circle). Same thing happened to me. Until someone told me about the "refresh", I would copy the corrected text, then DELETE the message and past the corrected text into a new message box!

I know how to refresh it. I have been doing that. And it still doesn't show the correction (in firefox). I even have tried to close firefox and reopen it, and it still doesn't work. One time I even tried to wait a few hours and then refresh the screen and it still didn't work. But it is working OK in IE.

1. What is a nonlinear first order differential equation?

A nonlinear first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the first derivative of an unknown function, and the function itself is nonlinear (meaning it is not a straight line). This type of equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to model real-world systems that exhibit nonlinear behavior.

2. How is a nonlinear first order differential equation different from a linear first order differential equation?

The main difference between a nonlinear and linear first order differential equation is that the former involves a nonlinear function, while the latter involves a linear function (a straight line). This means that nonlinear equations can have multiple solutions and can be more complex to solve compared to linear equations.

3. How do you solve a nonlinear first order differential equation?

There is no one-size-fits-all method for solving nonlinear first order differential equations. However, some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific integrating factors. In some cases, numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods may be used to approximate solutions.

4. What are some real-world applications of nonlinear first order differential equations?

Nonlinear first order differential equations are used to model a wide range of physical systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in fields like economics, biology, and meteorology to understand and make predictions about complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using nonlinear first order differential equations?

One limitation of using nonlinear first order differential equations is that they can be difficult to solve analytically, meaning there may not be a closed-form solution. In addition, small changes in the initial conditions or parameters of the equation can lead to drastically different solutions, making it challenging to accurately predict the behavior of a system. Numerical methods can be used to overcome these limitations, but they may not always provide exact solutions.