Proving \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} = \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, to show that \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} = \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}, you can use the additive, homogeneous, and telescoping properties of summation. A hint suggests writing the sum as (1-x)\sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k}, which can be derived by multiplying both sides by (1-x). Then, you can write x^{k} as x^{k+1} - (x-1)^{k+1} and proceed with the proof.
courtrigrad
I want to show that [tex] \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} = \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x} [/tex] using the additive, homogeneous, and telescoping properties of summation. In a hint it says to write the sum as [tex] (1-x)\sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} [/tex]. How did they arrive at this? Did they factor out the [tex] 1-x [/tex]. I don't see how they did this. I would then write [tex] x^{k} [/tex] as [tex] x^{k+1} - (x-1)^{k+1} [/tex]. Then what?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
courtrigrad said:
I want to show that [tex] \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} = \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x} [/tex] using the additive, homogeneous, and telescoping properties of summation. In a hint it says to write the sum as [tex] (1-x)\sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} [/tex]. How did they arrive at this? Did they factor out the [tex] 1-x [/tex]. I don't see how they did this. I would then write [tex] x^{k} [/tex] as [tex] x^{k+1} - (x-1)^{k+1} [/tex]. Then what?

Thanks

Let the sum be represented by S. You want to find a neat expression for S.

One way to do that is to multiply S by (1-x). List out a few terms of S (maybe the first four, then "..." then the last two terms). Now multiply that by (1-x) term by term. Add up the like powers (same exponent of x) and see what happens. You will end up very quickly at the required proof.

Another way is that:
Let:
[tex]S = \sum_{n = 1} ^ k (x ^ n)[/tex]
Now multiply both sides by x, we have:
[tex]x S = \sum_{n = 1} ^ k (x ^ {n + 1}) = \sum_{n = 2} ^ {k + 1} (x ^ n)[/tex]
Now, from the 2 equations above, what can you do to get (1 - x) S?
Can you go from here? :)

Yup, I got it.

1. What is the purpose of proving the summation formula \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} = \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}?

The purpose of proving this summation formula is to show the relationship between the sum of a geometric series and its closed form expression. This formula is often used in various mathematical and scientific calculations, so it is important to understand how it is derived and how it can be applied.

2. What are the steps involved in proving \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} = \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}?

The steps involved in proving this summation formula are:

1. Start with the left side of the equation and expand the summation using the formula for the sum of a geometric series.
  2. Simplify the terms to get a general formula for the sum.
  3. Take the limit as n → ∞ to get the closed form expression.
  4. Check the validity of the formula by plugging in values for x and n and comparing the results to the original summation.

3. What are some real-world applications of this summation formula?

This summation formula has various real-world applications in fields such as finance, physics, and computer science. For example, it can be used to calculate the compound interest on a loan or investment, to model the growth of a population, or to determine the runtime of an algorithm.

4. Can this summation formula be generalized to include different values for the starting and ending indices?

Yes, this formula can be generalized to include different values for the starting and ending indices by using the formula for the sum of a finite geometric series. The formula would then be \sum_{k=m}^{n} x^{k} = \frac{x^{m}-x^{n+1}}{1-x}, where m and n are the starting and ending indices, respectively.

5. How can this summation formula be useful in mathematical proofs?

This summation formula can be useful in mathematical proofs as it provides a quick and efficient way to evaluate geometric series. It can also be used to simplify complex equations and to prove other mathematical identities. Additionally, understanding the derivation and properties of this formula can help in solving other mathematical problems and developing new theories.