Ideas for science fair project

In summary, the conversation discusses possible experiments for testing relativity and the photoelectric effect, as well as the availability of materials and the difficulty of building a cloud chamber. It is suggested that an experiment involving a material that readily emits photoelectrons on a negatively charged electroscope could be a viable option. However, it is also mentioned that without specific equipment, it may be difficult to put together a successful experiment.
Quantum1332
I was wondering if anyone new of anyway to test relativity in an easy experiment, or an easy experiement forthe photoelectric effect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked out NASA website? There used to ideas of wonderful science projects (though I did not pay any visit to the site lately due to scarcity of time).

Quantum1332 said:
I was wondering if anyone new of anyway to test relativity in an easy experiment

Easy or inexpensive? If the effects of relativity (assuming you mean special relativity) were readily observable then most likely it would have been identified far sooner than it was.

You might have better luck with the photoelectric effect though if you have access to the right materials. What do you have access to?

One can put a material that readily emits photoelectrons on a negatively charged electroscope. The leaves of the electroscope will gradually drop as electrons are liberated from it by natural light. A similarly charged control electroscope should be placed nearby to show that the observed discharge is not due to leakage. Be warned thought that electrostatic experiments are tricky! One needs experience in order to get them under control. You could quantify the investigation by looking at different materials - the rate at which the leaves drop for different materials. Inserting different types of colour filters will display the colour dependence of the effect.

Last edited:
without equipment made specifically for the photoelectric effect, it could be tough to put together an experiment, but there might be an easy way, I can't say for sure. There are absolutley no easy ways whatsoever to test relativity. I would suggets going with the paper mache volcano.

well, true, I do not have access to a lot of materials. How hard would it be to biuld a cloud chamber?

Quantum1332 said:
well, true, I do not have access to a lot of materials. How hard would it be to biuld a cloud chamber?

Full instructions are located http://w4.lns.cornell.edu/~adf4/cloud.html" . Whether your tutor will allow you to play with isopropanol and whether you can obtain dry ice it another matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone have any ideas for a project that isn't just like the norm, and that has to do with physics, with materials I can easily get.

1. What are some good ideas for a science fair project?

There are many good ideas for a science fair project, but it ultimately depends on your interests and the resources available to you. Some popular categories for science fair projects include biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science. You could also consider exploring a current issue or problem in the world and designing an experiment to address it.

2. How do I come up with an original science fair project idea?

One way to come up with an original science fair project idea is to start by brainstorming your interests and hobbies. Think about any questions you have about the world around you or any problems you would like to solve. You can also look at past science fair projects for inspiration and try to put your own unique spin on them.

3. What are some easy science fair project ideas?

Some easy science fair project ideas include testing the effectiveness of natural cleaning products, studying the effects of music on plant growth, or examining the relationship between exercise and heart rate. These projects typically require minimal supplies and can be completed within a short time frame.

4. How do I ensure my science fair project is safe?

Safety is a crucial aspect of any science fair project. Before beginning your project, make sure to thoroughly research any potential hazards and take necessary precautions. It is also important to have adult supervision and to follow all safety guidelines provided by your school or science fair organization.

5. Can I use the scientific method for my science fair project?

Yes, the scientific method is a great framework for designing and conducting a successful science fair project. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. This method allows for a systematic and objective approach to research and is highly recommended for science fair projects.