Reversal of Venus: Mystery of the Solar System

In summary: No, impactors after all?I don't think so. Venus is much too large and the impactors that formed Earth and the other planets must have had significantly smaller amounts of angular momentum. Compare the size of Venus to that of an average impactor: Venus is about the size of Earth, while an average impactor is about twice the size of Earth. So impactors after all?Unless I'm missing something, you were the only one that held the viewpoint that Venus had prograde rotation from an external reference point, but I don't see any evidence to support that.
EMAAN
planet venus?

i read sometime ago that the venus revolves in opposite direction around the sun as compared to other planets.please tell me is it true? if yes then WHY?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
YES, venus revolves in opposite direction .

but why please explain? what is special in venus?

Just to clarify, let's not confuse "revolve" and "rotate" here:
If viewed from above the Sun's north pole, all of the planets are orbiting in an anticlockwise direction; but while most planets also rotate anticlockwise, Venus rotates clockwise in "retrograde" rotation. The question of how Venus came have a slow, retrograde rotation was a major puzzle for scientists when the planet's rotation period was first measured. When it formed from the solar nebula, Venus would have had a much faster, prograde rotation, but calculations show that over billions of years, tidal effects on its dense atmosphere could have slowed down its initial rotation to the value seen today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus

I believe the truth is even more mundane.

Relative an external frame of reference such as the stars, Venus rotates in an anticlockwise direction, just like all the other planets. It's just that its day is so long that it is actaully longer than its year, meaning that, by the time it has made one complete counterclockwise revolution around the sun, it has not quite turned on its own axis one counterclockwise rotation.

DaveC426913 said:
Relative an external frame of reference such as the stars, Venus rotates in an anticlockwise direction, just like all the other planets.

I don't think this is correct. We discussed Venus' retrograde rotation at great length in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=119953"

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceTiger said:
We discussed Venus' retrograde rotation at great length in this thread
We did, though I don't think we reached a consensus.

DaveC426913 said:
We did, though I don't think we reached a consensus.

Unless I'm missing something, you were the only one that held the viewpoint that Venus had prograde rotation from an external reference point, but I don't see any evidence to support that.

On the other hand, the negative sidereal period that Janus mentioned and the fact that Venus' solar day is shorter than its sidereal day both suggest that the rotation is retrograde from an external reference point.

What they teaches in all them there text-books is that Venus' rotation is opposite that of the other planets (and slower than its orbital period). The main theory right now as to the cause is that Venus was struck by another object during the early period of system formation.

LURCH said:
...The main theory right now as to the cause is that Venus was struck by another object during the early period of system formation.
I would have guessed the opposite. That it demonstrates that Venus was not struck. If the small objects that coalasced into Venus had a net bias of 0 in their directions and velocities, then Venus should form with no spin. But the net bias is not 0. Objects on the inner track travel a little faster than those on the outer track which would create a slight clockwise bias, which Venus is currently observed to have.

Earth on the other hand needs a collision to explain the angular momentum.

I guess my thinking doesn't explain why 6 of the 9 planets have significant prograde rotation.

Doesn't work either; think in terms of momentum and spinning skaters pulling their arms in. If Venus was formed from dust particles in a orbit around the proto sun, and their angular momentum remained constant, the total angular momentum of the planet would be the original sum of momentums of the orbits of all particles plus the momentum in relationship to it's centre of gravity where the arm pull in trick of the ice skater would have caused the planet to spin up prograde during it's formation, just like Earth and Mars did.

Another approach, if the dust cloud that formed Venus would have happened to spin retrograde, the result would have to be that both the orbit and the spin of the planet were retrograde.

So a prograde orbit and a retrograde spin is weird. It has been suggested that tidal drag forces have slowed Venus down, you can add extreme tilt cycles due to resonance between obliquity and precession cycles (Correia and Lasker, Pegasus 2003) but their model required an initial spin of about 3 days while the empirical initial spin compared to Earth would have been around 18 hours as far as I recall. Some McDonald calculated that in 1963.

So impactors after all? But if Earth was to be hit by a enormous bolide, enough to affect it's spin at the point of impact, it would take 90 minutes before the other end of the planet "knew" about that impact. Meanwhile it would continue spinning undisturbed which would result in a complete break up forming another asteroid belt.

So not enough tidal drag and certainly no impactor. But I believe somebody had a weird crackpot idea about the solution here a long time ago.

What is the "Reversal of Venus: Mystery of the Solar System"?

The "Reversal of Venus: Mystery of the Solar System" is a theory proposed by scientists to explain the unusual retrograde rotation of Venus, which means it rotates in the opposite direction of most planets in our solar system.

What causes the retrograde rotation of Venus?

The most widely accepted theory is that early in its formation, Venus collided with a large object which caused its rotation to reverse. This theory is supported by computer simulations and analysis of Venus' orbit.

How does the retrograde rotation of Venus affect its atmosphere and climate?

The retrograde rotation of Venus causes its atmosphere to rotate much faster than the planet itself. This results in strong winds and a thick, toxic atmosphere that traps heat and creates a runaway greenhouse effect, making Venus the hottest planet in our solar system.

What evidence supports the "Reversal of Venus" theory?

In addition to computer simulations and orbit analysis, scientists have also observed retrograde rotation in other objects in our solar system, such as some moons and asteroids. This supports the idea that a collision could have caused Venus' rotation to reverse.

Could the retrograde rotation of Venus ever change?

While there is no evidence to suggest that Venus' rotation will change in the near future, it is possible that another significant event or collision could alter its rotation. However, it is unlikely to occur anytime soon due to the stability of our solar system.