Any creative ideas for a high school physics car project?

• Thread starter failingphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Cars
In summary, a high school physics student needs to build a car using limited materials and make it travel at least 20 ft without being pushed. They have come up with some designs but are looking for more creative ideas, particularly for a propulsion system. Suggestions include building an airplane-style car with wings made of straws, rubber bands, and tape, or using a windmill-like propeller connected to a gear system with added tension from rubber bands.
failingphysics
Hey, there. I'm in high school physics, so hopefully this problem will alow you guys to think creatively without hurting your braincells.

We're supposed to build a car out of index cards/file folders, tape, glue, straws, paperclips and rubberbands only. The car must go at least 20 ft and carry its propulsion system (i.e. can't be pushed).

Anyhow, I've come up with some designs, but the best propulsion system I can think of is a propeller. I'm sure it'll work fine, but it's kind of boring! Any creative car ideas? Any propeller ideas that will help our car go a long distance are welcome, as well. The entire object is to get it to roll/fly/whatever as far as possible, provided it starts/ends on the ground!

Physics news on Phys.org
One idea that comes to mind is to build an airplane-style car. You could use the paperclips to construct a frame, and use the straws, rubber bands, and tape to create the wings. This would give the car aerodynamic lift, allowing it to travel further. Alternatively, you could use the straws to build a windmill-like propeller. Attach it to a gear system which would turn the wheels of the car. You could also use the rubber bands to provide additional tension to the propeller, allowing it to spin faster and further. Good luck!

Hey there! Your project sounds really interesting and challenging. I always encourage thinking outside the box and coming up with creative solutions. In terms of your car design, have you considered using the principles of aerodynamics to your advantage? You could try creating a streamlined shape for your car, similar to a teardrop or bullet, which would reduce air resistance and help it travel further. Additionally, you could experiment with different sizes and angles of the propeller to optimize its efficiency. Another idea could be to use a balloon as a propulsion system, similar to a balloon car. This would add an element of fun and creativity to your project. Good luck with your project and keep exploring innovative ideas!

1. What are Creative Lou Vee Air Cars?

Creative Lou Vee Air Cars are innovative vehicles that run on compressed air instead of fossil fuels. They are designed to be eco-friendly and reduce carbon emissions.

2. How do Creative Lou Vee Air Cars work?

Creative Lou Vee Air Cars use a compressed air engine to power the vehicle. The air is stored in a tank and released to move pistons, which then power the wheels of the car.

3. Are Creative Lou Vee Air Cars safe?

Yes, Creative Lou Vee Air Cars are safe to drive. They undergo rigorous testing and meet all safety standards. In fact, they may be safer than traditional cars since they do not use flammable fuels.

4. What are the benefits of using Creative Lou Vee Air Cars?

There are several benefits to using Creative Lou Vee Air Cars. They are environmentally friendly, cost-effective, and have lower maintenance costs compared to traditional cars. They also have a longer lifespan since they have fewer moving parts.

5. Can Creative Lou Vee Air Cars compete with traditional cars in terms of speed and distance?

Currently, Creative Lou Vee Air Cars may not be able to match the speed and distance of traditional cars. However, advancements in technology and design are constantly being made to improve their performance. Additionally, they are ideal for short distance travel and city driving.