Where can I find comprehensive formulas for Celestial Mechanics?

In summary: And we're darn lucky to have you with us! Have you thought about an online course?And we're darn lucky to have you with us! Have you thought about an online course?Shucks, I'll do it here! Or, rather, in a new thread.In summary, the book Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications by David A. Vallado is used for the senior level 'Orbital Dynamics' and 'Space Navigation and Guidance' classes at my school. It has just about anything you could possibly want to learn about, including transfer orbits.
Ravine
I was just wondering if anyone here , knows a good site (or a book) for general Formulas for Celestial Mechanics ? I have looked a little, But I only find one or two equations per site, and most of them are the same, So if you do know one that would be great

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums, Ravine!

How far does your math education go?

Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications by David A. Vallado is the book which is used for the senior level 'Orbital Dynamics' and 'Space Navigation and Guidance' classes at my school.

It has just about anything you could possibly want to learn about.

Hey thanks enigma ^_^.
My math level is Grade 12+ (Though I am in Gr. 10, lol) Even if it is a bit hard, I am sure I can pick it up fast . Well, I best be off to the library to rent these books before they close ^_^

Last edited:
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Well, Thanks for your help, but it seems my library did not have the book in stock. So I will have to order it from the internet. I just can not wait the 2-3 weeks -_-, lol.

What library did you go to? A public library won't have it, but any university library with an aerospace engineering program will. In addition, a well-stocked college bookstore should have it, too.

- Warren

I don't think you should buy the book until you at least look through it to see if it's something you can handle. The book is too expensive to jump in without taking a look inside first... I'm willing to bet it is much more complicated math-wise than anything you've seen.

Transfer orbits made easy

enigma said:
I don't think you should buy the book until you at least look through it to see if it's something you can handle. The book is too expensive to jump in without taking a look inside first... I'm willing to bet it is much more complicated math-wise than anything you've seen.
I can teach transfer orbits so a high school student can understand it. Nothing to it.

Jerry Abbott

And we're darn lucky to have you with us! Have you thought about an online course?

selfAdjoint said:
And we're darn lucky to have you with us! Have you thought about an online course?
Shucks, I'll do it here! Or, rather, in a new thread.

OK it's done! See the thread with the title: "Transfer orbits for dummies: a hillbilly tutorial."

I got the job done fast because I'd already solved that particular example problem while I was working out the math of the theory. But I used more recent orbital elements this time, and the transit time didn't come out quite right for the elliptical transfer orbit. Oh well.

Jerry Abbott

Last edited:

1. What is celestial mechanics?

Celestial mechanics is a branch of astronomy that deals with the study of the motion of celestial bodies such as planets, moons, asteroids, and comets.

2. What are some common celestial mechanics formulas?

Some common celestial mechanics formulas include Kepler's laws of planetary motion, Newton's law of universal gravitation, and the equations of motion for orbital mechanics.

3. How are celestial mechanics formulas used in space exploration?

Celestial mechanics formulas are used in space exploration to calculate the trajectories of spacecraft and to predict the positions and movements of celestial bodies. They are also used to plan and execute maneuvers, such as gravitational slingshots, to conserve fuel and reach distant destinations.

4. How do celestial mechanics formulas relate to the study of exoplanets?

Celestial mechanics formulas are essential in the study of exoplanets, as they allow scientists to calculate the orbital parameters and properties of these distant worlds. This information can then be used to determine if a planet is potentially habitable or to understand its formation and evolution.

5. Are celestial mechanics formulas constantly evolving?

Yes, celestial mechanics formulas are constantly evolving as new discoveries and advancements in technology provide more accurate data and observations of celestial bodies. This leads to refinements and updates to existing formulas and the development of new ones to better understand the complexities of the universe.