What is the Integral of x^{3}e^{-x^2}dx?

• Thread starter amacinho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about a user trying to show an equation is correct and obtaining a result of 0 using Mathematica, but not being able to evaluate the integral. Other users provide hints and suggestions, including using the substitution u=x^2 to reduce the integral to 2\int u e^{-u} du and then realizing that the limits of integration are from infinity to infinity. They also discuss the properties of odd functions and how they can be integrated between -a and a. The conversation ends with the user solving their problem and thanking the others for their help.
amacinho
Hi,

I'm trying to show the following equation is correct:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^{3}e^{-x^2}dx = 0[/tex]

I obtained the result as 0 using Mathematica but couldn't figure out a way to evaluate the integral.

I am just an unfortunate computer scientist who happens to follow a graduate course on statistical mechanics :)

Also, I would appreciate if some one tells me how to query the forums to find an answer for a particular integration before posting it here.

Thanks,

Amac

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
Is the integrand an even or odd function?

Unfortunately [tex]x[/tex] can take negative values if that's what you ask.

I see, I am expected to show my own work when posting a question here. Actually that integral is just a small part of an answer to calculate the first four moments of a gaussian distribution with direct integration of the pdf.

I tried to re-write the integral as
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}t e^{-t}dt[/tex]
by using the substitution
[tex]t=u^2[/tex], [tex]dt=2u du[/tex]
so
[tex]u du=\frac{dt}{2}[/tex].
By this approach I can say that t is positive and evaluate the integral as a Gamma function by carrying it from 0 to infinity and multiplying by 2. The problem is the result is not 0 which I am expected to get.

No, my hint concerned the type of integrand you're having.
With an EVEN function f, we mean that for any x, f(-x)=f(x)

With an ODD function, we mean that for any x, we have f(-x)=-f(x)

Suppose you are to integrate an odd function between the values -a and a.
What should that integral be?

I got it arildno, thanks very much.

Could you also tell me how to search for the integrals before posting them here? I tried to use the latex code of the integral but it didn't help.

its quite difficult to search for a specific integral, best bet is it search integral. no latex won't work with the searches.

Basically when you have a function like arildno described, odd, then on the postive side of x, x>0, the values are the same as the values on the negative side, just with a different sign! so they cancel each other out.

functions.wolfram.com has good functions search

Arildno's point was that you don't need to find an anti-derivative. The fact that that integrand is an odd function tells you that its graph is anti-symmetric. Any "area under the curve" for for x> 0 is canceled by the "area above the curve" for x< 0. More specifically, the anti-derivative of any odd function is an even function. Evaluating it at any A and -A give the so subtracting results in 0.

However there are other ways of integrating functions than "looking them up"! In this case you can write the integral as
[tex]\int x^2 e^{-x^2} (xdx)[/tex]
and make the substitution u= x2. That reduces the integral to
[tex]2\int u e^{-u}du[/tex]
which can be done by a simple integration by points.

However, arildno's point, as I said, is that you don't need to actually do the integral to get the answer!

HallsofIvy said:
Arildno's point was that you don't need to find an anti-derivative. The fact that that integrand is an odd function tells you that its graph is anti-symmetric. Any "area under the curve" for for x> 0 is canceled by the "area above the curve" for x< 0. More specifically, the anti-derivative of any odd function is an even function. Evaluating it at any A and -A give the so subtracting results in 0.

However there are other ways of integrating functions than "looking them up"! In this case you can write the integral as
[tex]\int x^2 e^{-x^2} (xdx)[/tex]
and make the substitution u= x2. That reduces the integral to
[tex]2\int u e^{-u}du[/tex]
which can be done by a simple integration by points.

However, arildno's point, as I said, is that you don't need to actually do the integral to get the answer!

That [tex]2\int u e^{-u} du[/tex] should be a [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int u e^{-u} du[/tex] I think halls.

Yeah, as I said I got the idea of integrating odd functions between -a and a, thank you very much. I solved my problem.

Gib Z said:
That [tex]2\int u e^{-u} du[/tex] should be a [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int u e^{-u} du[/tex] I think halls.

I tried to tell that I already did that substitution in my posting number 4. But I couldn't evaluate that integral either. I mistakenly argued that since [tex]u=x^2[/tex], I can say that u is always positive and the integral is equal to [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}u e^{-u}du[/tex] (which happens to be the [tex]\Gamma[/tex] function). Then I realized that although [tex]u[/tex] is positive, [tex]du[/tex] is not. So it is still an odd function. Everything is fine now.

Gib Z said:

Yes, of course it is. I think I'll pretend the LaTex messed up!

amacinho said:
Yeah, as I said I got the idea of integrating odd functions between -a and a, thank you very much. I solved my problem.

I tried to tell that I already did that substitution in my posting number 4. But I couldn't evaluate that integral either. I mistakenly argued that since [tex]u=x^2[/tex], I can say that u is always positive and the integral is equal to [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}u e^{-u}du[/tex] (which happens to be the [tex]\Gamma[/tex] function). Then I realized that although [tex]u[/tex] is positive, [tex]du[/tex] is not. So it is still an odd function. Everything is fine now.

In fact, if you had converted the limits of integration to u when you changed variables, you would have found you were integrating from infinity to infinity! What is the integral of any function from a to a?

HallsofIvy said:
In fact, if you had converted the limits of integration to u when you changed variables, you would have found you were integrating from infinity to infinity! What is the integral of any function from a to a?

Hmm, beautiful :)

1. What is the general formula for finding the integral of x^{3}e^{-x^2}dx?

The general formula for finding the integral of x^{3}e^{-x^2}dx is ∫x^{3}e^{-x^2}dx = -\frac{1}{2}e^{-x^2} + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. What is the process for solving the integral of x^{3}e^{-x^2}dx?

The process for solving the integral of x^{3}e^{-x^2}dx is to first use the substitution u = -x^2, then take the derivative of u to find du, and rewrite the integral in terms of u. Then, use the formula for integrating e^{u}du to solve for the integral, and finally substitute back in the original variable x.

3. What is the importance of the constant of integration in the integral of x^{3}e^{-x^2}dx?

The constant of integration is important because it represents the family of antiderivatives of the original function. This means that for any value of C, the derivative of the antiderivative will still be equal to the original function. It also accounts for any potential missing information in the original function.

4. Can the integral of x^{3}e^{-x^2}dx be solved using other methods?

Yes, the integral of x^{3}e^{-x^2}dx can also be solved using integration by parts. This involves breaking the integral into two parts and using the product rule to integrate each part. While the final result will be the same, this method may be more efficient for certain integrals.

5. What are the applications of the integral of x^{3}e^{-x^2}dx in real-world problems?

The integral of x^{3}e^{-x^2}dx has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to solve problems involving Gaussian probability distributions, heat transfer, and even population growth models. It is a valuable tool for understanding and analyzing real-world phenomena.