Fundamental polygons and surfaces

In summary, the theorem of classification of closed surfaces says that any closed surface is homeomorphic to a fundamental polygon in the plane. However, the topological requirements of a closed surface (compactness and connectedness) are met only if the polygon has an even number of sides, which is not always the case.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The theorem of classification of closed surfaces says that any closed surface is homeomorphic to a fundamental polygon in the plane.

I was wondering if any fundamental polygon can be made into a closed surface by adjoining an appropriate atlas to it.

The topological requirements of a closed surface (compactness and connectedness) are certainly met by the fund. polygon but can we give it an atlas, and if so, is the resulting 2-manifold boundaryless?

Sure as hell appears so to me but I want to make sure.Side question: Say we have a polygon with sides identified, and say that some side "a" is identified with n sides. Is n a topological invariant?

Thx!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A fundamental polygon is just a polygon. Do you mean a polygon with edges identified in a certain pattern? Are you asking if any polygon can have it's edges identified in such a way as to make it a closed surface? Only if it has an even number of sides. Specifically, if it has 2m sides, you can make the surface of genus m. Othewise somewhere there must be an odd number of edges identified, and here the structure will either be a boundary (if there is one edge) or a place where the structure fails to be a manifold (if there are 3 or more).

Oops, I thought the addition of the word "fundamental" was to refer to the fact that its sides were (potentially) indentified. Why waste breath and ink on the word "fundamental" then??

Btw - My side question is tightly related to the main question because in the proof of the classification thm, we show that any surface is homeomorphic to a polygon with pairwise identified sides. So if the answer to my side question comes out 'yes', then the main question will be answered.

Btw² - I have edited my side question to what I really had in mind.

Last edited:
Fundamental polygons are polygons associated to a surface. I've never seen this term used the other way around, to build a surface from a polygon. Maybe it is, but I would just call that a quotient space.

As far as your side question, each (interior of an) edge belongs to an equivalence class of edges. If n of these are identified, then the result locally looks like the product of the wedge product of n half open intervals with an open interval, ie, [0,1)x(0,1) if n=1, (0,1)x(0,1) if n=2, two intersecting planes if n=4, and so on. These spaces are all non-homeomorphic, so no homeomorphism can take a point in an eq class of m edges to one with n edges unless n=m. Note this can only be a manifold if n=1 or n=2 always, and only a closed one if n=2 (which implies the total number of edges is even).

Jesus, I know I keep saying this but how do you know so much??

I hope that someday, when I grow up, I'll be Status X.

And thanks too!

1. What is a fundamental polygon?

A fundamental polygon is a simple, closed geometric shape that can be used to tile or cover a surface without any gaps or overlaps. It is typically a convex polygon, meaning all of its interior angles are less than 180 degrees.

2. How are fundamental polygons used in geometry?

Fundamental polygons are used in geometry to understand and describe the properties of surfaces. By studying the tiling patterns of a fundamental polygon, mathematicians can determine the curvature, symmetries, and other characteristics of a surface.

3. Can any surface be tiled with a fundamental polygon?

Yes, any surface can be tiled with a fundamental polygon, as long as the surface is topologically equivalent to a flat plane. This means that the surface can be stretched or deformed, but not torn or punctured, into a flat shape without any overlaps or gaps.

4. What is the relationship between fundamental polygons and regular polygons?

A regular polygon is a type of fundamental polygon with equal side lengths and equal interior angles. However, not all fundamental polygons are regular polygons. Some surfaces require more complex fundamental polygons with irregular shapes to tile them without gaps or overlaps.

5. How are fundamental polygons used in crystallography?

In crystallography, fundamental polygons are used to describe the symmetry and structure of crystals. The tiling patterns of fundamental polygons can be used to classify crystals and understand their properties, such as their optical, electrical, and mechanical behaviors.