What is the difference between power series and Taylor series?

In summary: Therefore, the terms "power series" and "Taylor series" are often used interchangeably, even though they do not always represent the same thing. In summary, the student has two questions related to infinite series and their convergence. In the first question, they are asking for help finding the radius of convergence for a series expansion involving arctan and applying the ratio test. In the second question, they are asking for help using the fact that a power series is the Taylor series of its sum to solve for the 4101st derivative of a function. They also inquire about the difference between power series and Taylor series. It is noted that while they are often used interchangeably, they do not always represent the same thing.
kingwinner
My exam is coming up, I have 2 questions on infinite series. Any help is appreciated!:smile:

Quesetion 1) http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/calexam1.JPG
For part a, I got:
g(x)= Sigma (n=0, infinity) [(-1)^n * x^(2n)]

For part b, I got:
x
∫ tan^-1 (t^2) dt = Sigma (k=0, infinity) [(-1)^k * x^(4k+3)] / [(2k+1) (4k+3)]
But the part b, they also ask for the radius of convergence, how can I find it? Should I apply the ratio test to this series expansion (colored in red) to find the radius of convergence? Is there any faster way?

Question 2) Suppose f(x)= x cos(x^2), find f^(4101) (0).
[f^(n) (0) is the "n"th derivative evaluated at 0]

Should I use the fact that "On its interval of convergence, a power series is the Taylor series of its sum" to do this question?
So is it true that the power series of x cos(x^2) is EQUAL to the Taylor series of x cos(x^2) for ALL real numbers x?
Is there any difference between power series and Taylor series?

Thanks for your help!:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solutions to Question 1 a and b are correct. To see the radius of convergence, notice that the radius of convergence of sine's taylor series is the whole real number line. Is this summation smaller term by term?

2) Yes use that fact, it is correct :) For trigonometric functions, the taylor series and power series are the same. Good work :)

1) But the geometric series has radius of convergence 1, will the radius of convergence of the integral arctan (t^2) also be the same (1) ? Why?

2) Why are the Taylor series and power series the same thing, but having different names? I don't get it...

Thanks!

1) Ahh sorry about that your correct. Since the series from which the integral is calculated only conveges for |x|< 1, the integral does so as well.

2) They aren't the same thing, they just happen to give the same formula for the trig functions, but not for all functions :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_series

The article gives the Power series of exp(x) and sin (x) and states they happen to be their taylor series as well. However, there exist power series which are not the Taylor series of any function, for instance

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n! x^n = 1 + x + 2! x^2 + 3! x^3 + \cdots.[/tex]

Any Taylor's series is a power series, of course, but the other way is not true. It is possible to find a power series that is NOT the Taylor's series of any function. For example,
[tex]\Sum_{n=0}^\infty (n!)x^n[/tex]
cannot be the Taylor's series of any function because it does not converge for any x except 0. Power series of a function are unique: IF a function has a Taylor's series that converges to that function at every point within its radius of convergence, then every power series that converges to that function must be identical to the Taylor's series.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series in which each term is a polynomial multiplied by a variable raised to a nonnegative integer power. It can be written in the form of ∑n=0cnxn, where cn represents the coefficient of the nth term.

2. What is the difference between a power series and a Taylor series?

A power series is a type of series that represents a function as an infinite sum of polynomials, while a Taylor series is a specific type of power series that represents a function as an infinite sum of polynomials centered at a specific point. A Taylor series can be thought of as a special case of a power series.

3. How are power series and Taylor series used in mathematics?

Power series and Taylor series are used to approximate functions and to find their values at specific points. They are also used in calculus to evaluate derivatives and integrals of functions that may be difficult to solve using traditional methods.

4. What is the process for finding a Taylor series?

To find the Taylor series of a function, you first need to calculate its derivatives at a specific point. Then, plug in those values into the formula for a Taylor series, which is f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ..., where a is the center of the series. This will give you the Taylor series for the function centered at the point a.

5. Can all functions be represented by a Taylor series?

No, not all functions can be represented by a Taylor series. Some functions may not have a Taylor series expansion, while others may have a Taylor series that only converges for a limited range of values. Additionally, some functions may have a Taylor series that converges to a different function than the original function.