Education Proverbs - Words of Gratitude to the Teacher

• Thread starter Chen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary, a group of students are looking to express their gratitude to their physics teacher by giving her a book and an engraved pen. They are having trouble finding a short and profound quote related to education and teaching. Suggestions include quotes from Albert Einstein, the Book of Proverbs, and William Butler Yeats. Other suggestions include "Knowledge is power", "Teachers fuel imaginations", and "Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." The students want to give back to their teacher who has been a great influence on their decision to study physics in university.
Chen
Hi all,

A group of fellow students and myself are nearing the end of the educational year and we would like to thank the phyiscs teacher thas has been our guide for the past three years. The idea is to buy her a book as well as a pen with an engraved proverb that will express our gratitude. The problem is that it has to be short to fit on the pen... and we're having a bit of a hard time finding something both short and profound. The subject needs to be education, and teaching.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Chen

Physics news on Phys.org
"The important thing is not to stop questioning."
-Albert Einstein

Sort and sweet.

Njorl

I guess my signature wouldn't be a good one?
Or maybe it would be extra good for a teacher ;)?
I guess the teacher might not take it as a compliment :P

I think we might end up borrowing something from the Book of Proverbs, seeing as she is religious too.

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it.

Web Search?

Sorry, but I don't know any. I do have a suggestion for how you could go about obtaining some though. Why don't you search for it on Google or Ask Jeeves or one of those other search engines. Those are bound to help at least a little. Best of luck. :smile:

"Educating is reciprocating love"

"Intelligence teaches to learn"

"Teachers fuel Imaginations"

"Minds by (insert name of teacher)"

et al...

how's about...

why don't we try "In Silent Praise to the one who struggled with us, to improve us"

..as 'silent praise' is appropriate, to a pen...'silent words' spoken, when read...

"knowledge is power"

"illigitimati non carborundum"?

Tsunami said:
"illigitimati non carborundum"?

Don't use illegal carburetors? :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

My suggestion:
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
--William Butler Yeats

Ivan Seeking said:
Don't use illegal carburetors? :rolleyes:
Hardly, dear. :rolleyes:

Loosly translated, it's 'don't let the b*stards grind you down'. :wink:

"Woman by day, she-male by night."

"Thanks! for filling in the blanks"

"Knowledge is power, Thanks for being it's purveyor for us"

...aaaaannnd...

"the truth is out there"

"Hot for teacher." ~David Lee Roth

"The universe is like a safe to which there is a combination -- but the combination is locked up in the safe."
-- Peter DeVries

I'd put something along the lines of:
I've had 73 different teachers since starting school and only thought enough of one to get them a pen. or 72 didn't get anything.
only more poetically

Thanks tribdog, but in fact we did give a pen to our history teacher last year. :smile:

Chen said:
Thanks tribdog, but in fact we did give a pen to our history teacher last year. :smile:
Then the question is why?
is it
a)your teachers are THAT good
b) your last name is Ballpoint and you receive royalties
c) you feel guilty for stealing that No. 2 pencil during SATs and want to clear your conscience and then some
or
d)brown nosing

I've had some good teachers in the past but I've never given them anything other than a hard time. I gave a teacher's aide an STD and I'm pretty sure I gave my Home Ec teacher a coronary but that's about it. Oh unless you count the tuna fish sandwich I left in my Spanish teacher's desk over spring break.

Last edited:
I guess it's (a). My name isn't Pilot, I brought my own pencils for the SATs and by the time she gets our grades would be set in stone. We just want to give something back because she was a great teacher and she's the main reason I'm going to study physics and not computer science or something in university.

Chen, I like your answer...

1. How do education proverbs show gratitude to teachers?

Education proverbs are timeless sayings or phrases that convey appreciation and recognition for the role of teachers in shaping students' lives. These proverbs express gratitude to teachers by highlighting their wisdom, dedication, and impact on students' learning and personal growth.

2. Why are education proverbs important in the field of education?

Education proverbs serve as a reminder of the crucial role teachers play in our lives and the value of education. They also provide insight and guidance on the importance of learning, self-improvement, and character development, which are essential elements of the education process.

3. What are some examples of education proverbs?

Some examples of education proverbs include "A teacher takes a hand, opens a mind, and touches a heart," "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world," and "The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."

4. How can education proverbs be used in the classroom?

Education proverbs can be used in various ways in the classroom, such as incorporating them into lesson plans or discussions, displaying them on classroom walls, or using them as writing prompts or discussion starters. They can also be used to inspire and motivate students, and to encourage critical thinking and reflection on important life lessons.

5. What is the significance of expressing gratitude to teachers through education proverbs?

Expressing gratitude to teachers through education proverbs not only acknowledges their hard work and dedication but also reinforces the importance of their role in shaping future generations. It also helps to foster a positive and respectful relationship between students and teachers, which can lead to a more conducive learning environment and better academic outcomes.