What is your favorite spell check mangling?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the humorous and often incorrect suggestions made by spell check when it comes to proper names and technical terms. Examples include a last name being interpreted as "Blood" and "Super Bowl" being turned into "superb owl." The speaker also mentions turning off spell check due to its mistakes.
Loren Booda
What is your favorite "spell check" mangling?

Often, when using various versions of "spell check," proper names will be associated as totally unrelated and comedic words. Do you have an example of such faux pas?

Physics news on Phys.org
My last name was interpreted as "Blood."

In outlook I typed Super Bowl and spell check came back with "superb owl".

Evo said:
In outlook I typed Super Bowl and spell check came back with "superb owl".

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Another professional wrote in an email to me that I was write, rather than right. I had to read the sentence a couple of times to determine whether I was supposed to 'write' something. :rofl:

I have seen a few other funny one's but off hand can't remember where exactly, although there have been some funny errors in some technical documents or journal articles that I have reviewed.

I can't remember any of the funny ones any more, but it's because of those annoyances that I turned spell check off. My typos are not nearly as scary as spell check's attempts at correcting the correctly-spelled, technical terms. :bugeye:

1. What is spell check mangling?

Spell check mangling refers to the process of a spell checker making incorrect or nonsensical changes to a word or phrase. This can occur when the spell checker suggests a different word than the intended one, or when it fails to recognize a correctly spelled word.

2. How does spell check mangling affect the accuracy of written documents?

Spell check mangling can significantly impact the accuracy of written documents by introducing spelling errors or changing the intended meaning of a word. It can also make it difficult for others to understand the writer's intended message, leading to confusion or miscommunication.

3. What are some common causes of spell check mangling?

Some common causes of spell check mangling include incorrect or outdated dictionaries, regional differences in spelling or word usage, and homophones (words that sound the same but have different meanings).

4. How can spell check mangling be prevented?

One way to prevent spell check mangling is to carefully review and proofread documents before submitting or publishing them. Additionally, using a spell checker with an up-to-date dictionary and adjusting settings to reflect regional preferences can also help reduce the occurrence of spell check mangling.

5. Can spell check mangling be beneficial in any way?

In some cases, spell check mangling can be beneficial by highlighting potential errors or offering alternative word choices. However, it is important to carefully review and consider any changes made by a spell checker to ensure they are correct and do not alter the intended meaning of the text.