Gibbs Free Energy: ?Gº vs. ?G'º

In summary, the conversation discusses the Gibbs Free Energy equations and the differences between ?Gº and ?G'º. The person is unsure about the use of ?G'º and its relation to pH. They are seeking clarification and assistance with understanding these concepts.
jones106
Hey guys, I'm hung up on the Gibbs Free Energy equations. I know that ?G° is the free energy change under standard conditions (1 M, 1 atm, 25ºC), and that it is characteristic for a given reaction. I think that when a reaction is occurring under conditions that are not standard the equation ?G=?Gº + RTlnQ is used to account for these different conditions (am I correct here?). My problem, however, is with ?G'º (which my textbook also defines as standard free energy change. What is the difference between ?Gº and ?G'º and when do you use which? Does it have something to do with pH? I just can't seem to get this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for some reason my delta symbols come out as question marks.

Thank you very much,
Taylor

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could the prime " ' " be used to mean the first derivative?

I think the OP needs to give the context, and how his book defines Gº and G'.

1. What is Gibbs Free Energy?

Gibbs Free Energy is a thermodynamic property that represents the amount of energy available to do useful work in a system at constant temperature and pressure. It is denoted by the symbol G.

2. What is the difference between Gº and G'º?

Gº represents the standard Gibbs Free Energy, which is the amount of energy available in a system under standard conditions (1 atm pressure and 25°C). G'º represents the standard Gibbs Free Energy change, which is the difference in Gº between the reactants and the products in a chemical reaction.

3. How is Gibbs Free Energy related to spontaneity?

In a closed system, a negative G value indicates that a reaction is spontaneous, meaning it will occur without any external influence. A positive G value indicates that the reaction is non-spontaneous and will not occur without the addition of energy.

4. What factors affect the value of Gibbs Free Energy?

Gibbs Free Energy is affected by temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products in a system. A change in any of these factors can alter the value of G and potentially affect the spontaneity of a reaction.

5. How is Gibbs Free Energy used in practical applications?

Gibbs Free Energy is used in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering to predict the feasibility and direction of reactions. It is also used to determine the equilibrium state of a system and the maximum work that can be extracted from a reaction.