Lorentz time dilation problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation for supersonic jets traveling at maximum speeds. The first part of the question asks for the time elapsed on the pilot's clock during a time interval of 1 year on the observer's clock. The proper time is given by the equation delta(t) = delta(t') / (sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)^.5), where delta(t') is the observer's time interval and delta(t) is the pilot's time interval. Plugging in the given values, the time dilated on the pilot's clock is found to be negligible. The second part of the question asks for the time difference between the observer's clock and the pilot's clock, which results in a
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Supersonic jets achieve maximum speeds of about (3 *10^6)*c.

a)During a time of 1 y =3.16*10^7 seconds on your clock, how much time would elapse on the pilot's clock?

b)How many minutes are lost by the pilots clock in 1 year of your time.

Homework Equations

delta(t)=delta(t')/(sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)^.5), where delta(t') is the proper time interval

the proper time would be the time elapse(delta(t')) on my clock and the time dilated (delta (t)) would be the pilot's clock.

The Attempt at a Solution

to solved the first problem, I would have to apply the equations I mentioned and 2 and solved delta(t). delta(t)= (3.16e7)/(sqrt(1-(3e-6)^2)).

delta(t)=31600000.0001422000000095985 seconds . So I say the time dilated on the pilot's clock is very negligble.

The second part of the question just asked the time difference between my clock time and the pilot clock's time and that results to be. delta(t)=.0001422000000095985 seconds =2.37e-5 minutes .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have one mistake here, other than that your work seems great, assuming you have not made an error while crunching the numbers. You have the wrong time as the proper time. The proper time is time the pilot experiences. This is because the proper time is the time given by an inertial clock present and at both events. Your clock is always with you, but the pilots clock is actually there at the events you are measuring (the beginning and end of the plane's year long trip).

(I like this description of proper time, but I found it on Wikipedia I think, so I am a little suspicious that it may not be a complete description of proper time. The definition seems to be fine to me, but if someone finds that it is not complete, please add on to it.)

Remember that the pilot should experience less time relative to you since he is moving relative to you, yet your answer says the pilot experiences MORE time. This is what gave the mistake away.

Other than that, your solution seems correct. Nice Job!

Last edited:

This means that in 1 year of my time, the pilot's clock would lose approximately 0.0000237 minutes. This may seem like a very small amount, but it is a significant effect when considering the high speeds of supersonic jets. This is due to the phenomenon of time dilation, which is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity. The faster an object moves, the slower time passes for that object relative to a stationary observer. This is a fundamental concept in modern physics and has been experimentally confirmed countless times.

1. What is Lorentz time dilation problem?

Lorentz time dilation problem is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This concept is a key component of Einstein's theory of relativity and has been experimentally proven to be true.

2. How does Lorentz time dilation occur?

Lorentz time dilation occurs because the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that as an object moves faster, it experiences time at a slower rate in order to maintain the constant speed of light.

3. What is the formula for calculating Lorentz time dilation?

The formula for calculating Lorentz time dilation is t' = t / √(1 - v²/c²), where t' is the time measured by an observer in motion, t is the time measured by a stationary observer, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does Lorentz time dilation affect everyday life?

Lorentz time dilation has a very minor effect on everyday life, as it only becomes noticeable at extremely high speeds. However, it is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and plays a role in the accuracy of GPS systems.

5. Is Lorentz time dilation just a theory or has it been proven?

Lorentz time dilation is a well-established scientific principle that has been proven through numerous experiments and observations. It is a key part of Einstein's theory of relativity, which has been extensively tested and confirmed by modern physics.