Create 8-bit Binary Decoder Circuit w/3 Mechanical Switches

In summary, it would be very easy to create a circuit that uses 3 mechanical switches as inputs to light up 8 LEDs for the binary combinations. The only required parts are a switch and some wiring.
phantomAI
How difficult would it be to create a circuit that uses 3 mechanical switches as inputs to light up 8 LEDs for the binary combinations? This is for my electric circuits class.

I've done one for Logic class, but I was able to use Logic gates and some other extra equipment. So any hints on how I should go about creating one without these logic gates?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean you want to build your own instead of just using something like a 74138 chip?

Cliff

Cliff_J said:
Do you mean you want to build your own instead of just using something like a 74138 chip?

Cliff

yeah, I'm not allowed to use a logic chip, so will this be possible?

Transistors, lots of them, is one way to create AND, OR, and NOT circuits without using any chips. Relays would work too, but that's an expensive option due to the sheer number needed.

For this, you could start with the truth table for the in/out and then end up with a large breadboard. :)

I'd think it'd be easiest to work from most significant to the least significant to minimize the logic needed quickly, but that's only an opinion.

Cliff

this sounds complicated, I'm not even sure how how to create logic from transistors and resistors. I know how the truth table will turn out.

Thanks, I'll see if I can make this work

What are you supposed to use if you can't use logic gates of any sort?

- Warren

chroot said:
What are you supposed to use if you can't use logic gates of any sort?

- Warren

This is for a class that takes place before Logic Design, so most of the students don't know about the logic gates. I'm taking both classes at the same time, but I'm not allowed to use these gates since it gives me an advantage over others.

The project description is as follows:

Design a circuit that uses 3 mechanical switches for its inputs. The "up" position of each switch should represent a binary 1, and the "down" as binary 0. The circuit should light one of 8 LED's for each binary combination of switch positions.

A simple switch is a logic gate, when 2 switches are placed in parallel they form an OR gate, when in series they from a AND gate.

It looks to me that the goal of this project is to find an arrangement of the 3 switches which will control each of the lights. There are 8 possible positions therefore there should be a way to wire the circuit to control 8 different lights.

Sounds like an exercise in ladder logic. If you ever encounter a PLC this is very nice stuff to know.

could you post the answer when you get it? thanks,
Martin

res-diode combinations for AND and OR. Common emitter config bjt for NOT. In principle, you can build any combinatorial logic out of res, diode and bjt.

I don't know if this is too late, but u are allowed to use the different kind of gates to create this circuit. In your lab kit you should have all the needed gates like for Exaple the chip (74LS00) is 4 NAND gates in one. Try to figure out which one is which I do not have time right now to go over them all, but all the different gates are avalable in your labkit.

If you are allowed to use (1) a single pole-two position (2) a double pole-two position, and (3) a four pole-two position switch, it is very easy. Simply tie the single pole to power; then tie its two outputs to the two poles of the double pole switch. Then tie the four outputs of the double pole switch to the four inputs of the four pole switch. The eight four pole switch outputs then go to the eight LEDs. They are grounded together.

1. What is a binary decoder circuit?

A binary decoder circuit is an electronic circuit that receives a binary input and converts it into a corresponding output signal based on the input combination. It is used to decode binary data and control various electronic devices.

2. What are 8-bit binary decoders used for?

An 8-bit binary decoder is used to decode binary data that is represented by 8 bits. It is commonly used in digital systems to decode complex instructions and signals, and to control multiple devices simultaneously.

3. How do mechanical switches work in a binary decoder circuit?

Mechanical switches in a binary decoder circuit act as inputs, where each switch represents a binary bit (0 or 1). When the switch is closed, it sends a binary signal to the circuit, and when it is open, it does not send any signal.

4. What are the advantages of using a binary decoder circuit with mechanical switches?

Using mechanical switches in a binary decoder circuit allows for a simple and cost-effective way to input binary data. It also provides a physical interface for the user to control the circuit, making it easier to troubleshoot and test.

5. Can a binary decoder circuit with mechanical switches be expanded to handle more than 8 bits?

Yes, a binary decoder circuit with mechanical switches can be expanded to handle more than 8 bits by adding more switches and increasing the complexity of the circuit. However, this may also require additional components and more advanced circuit design techniques.