Calculating Partial Pressure of Gases in Tank - Dalton's Law

• Thread starter yaho8888
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation is about finding the partial pressure exerted by each gas in a sample collected in a 1.25L tank at 752 mm Hg. The analysis showed 92% CO2, 3.6% NO, 1.2% SO2, and 4.1% H2O by mass. The suggested solution involves calculating the moles of each gas, adding them up to get the total moles, and using the mole fraction to find the partial pressure. However, there seems to be a discrepancy in the given percentages as they add up to 100.9%.
yaho8888

Homework Statement

A sample was collected into a 1.25L tank at 752 mm Hg and analyzed. The analysis showed 92% CO2, 3.6% NO, 1.2% SO2, and 4.1% H2O by mass(key word mass). what is the partial pressure exerted by each gas.

attempt at a solution:
I know that you need to times the percent of gas in the tank by the pressure.
But I try this question so many times keep get me the wrong answer.
so please show step by step solution please.
I am have a quiz tomorrow so please teach me how to do this problem thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This might work: assume 100g total mass sample. Then 92g is CO2, 3.6 g NO etc...

Calculate the mole of each gas with the above masses 92g CO2 = > ? mol CO2

Add up all the moles to get total moles

- mole fraction (mol CO2/total moles)is proportional to partial pressure/total pressure,
- total pressure is given in the problem.

eli64 said:
This might work: assume 100g total mass sample. Then 92g is CO2, 3.6 g NO etc...

Calculate the mole of each gas with the above masses 92g CO2 = > ? mol CO2

Add up all the moles to get total moles

- mole fraction (mol CO2/total moles)is proportional to partial pressure/total pressure,
- total pressure is given in the problem.

It dosen;t seem working!
THE ANSWER OF CO2 SHOULD BE 630MM HG

are you sure the % values are correct? If you add up all the numbers I get 100.9%, this could make a difference in the partial pressures

That's how it is on the book check thousand times!

1. What is Dalton's Law?

Dalton's Law, also known as the Law of Partial Pressures, states that the total pressure exerted by a mixture of gases is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas in the mixture.

2. How do you calculate partial pressure of a gas?

To calculate the partial pressure of a gas in a tank, you will need to know the total pressure of the tank and the mole fraction of the gas in the mixture. Then, simply multiply the total pressure by the mole fraction to find the partial pressure of the gas.

3. Why is it important to calculate partial pressures of gases in a tank?

Calculating partial pressures of gases in a tank is important because it allows us to determine the individual contributions of each gas in a mixture to the total pressure. This can be useful in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in the storage and transport of gases.

4. How does temperature affect the partial pressure of a gas?

According to the Ideal Gas Law, as the temperature of a gas increases, the average kinetic energy of its molecules also increases, resulting in an increase in the gas's pressure. Therefore, an increase in temperature will also lead to an increase in the partial pressure of a gas in a tank.

5. Can you calculate partial pressures if the gases in the tank are not ideal?

Yes, it is still possible to calculate partial pressures of gases in a tank even if the gases are not ideal. However, in this case, the Ideal Gas Law cannot be used and more complex equations, such as the Van der Waals equation, may be required to account for the non-ideal behavior of the gases.