Help with Aluminum Corrosion | Auto Repair Shop Dispute

• Thread starter tirpitz56
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminum
In summary, the conversation is about aluminum corrosion and the possibility of an engine corroding after being left in a garage for 2 months. The individual is considering taking an auto repair shop to court because the engine they received back had thick orange corrosion on it, which they believe was not present before. Some individuals in the conversation suggest that the orange-brown color may be iron-based rust on carbon steel components, and the protective oxide on the aluminum surface may have been undermined by exposure to chlorides. Others mention that they have never seen aluminum corrode this quickly and suggest it may be some form of chemical attack. The conversation ends with a question about the alloy of the engine block.
tirpitz56
I don't know if this is the place to post but I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is experienced when it comes to aluminum corrosion.
I am about to take an Auto Repair shop to court because I gave them an engine with 5,000 miles on it to swap into my car and when I received my car back there was an engine in it that had nasty, thick orange corrosion all over and it wasn't corroded equally either. It looks like it was piced together. They only had it for 2 months but they said this is how quickly engines corrode.
The pic on the far left and far right are the before pics with the nice clean head circled and the one in the center is after I got it back.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0595 with circle.JPG
    IMG_0595 with circle.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_2424 with circle.jpg
    IMG_2424 with circle.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_0598 with circle.JPG
    IMG_0598 with circle.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm going to move this to the ME forum, where hopefully FredGarvin and Astronuc and others can offer opinions on Al corrosion.

As far as I know Al alloys do not corrode with an orange color. My guess is that the orange-brown is iron-based rust on carbon steel components.

Aluminum alloys usually form a protective oxide and that helps prevent corrosion. That protective oxide can be undermined if the aluminum surface is exposed to chlorides.

So do you think it would be possible for an engine to corrode like this while sitting inside of a garage for 2 months? I have only seen engines corrode after a couple of years of use outside in the elements like sand, salt and other chemicals on the road.

I agree that I have never seen aluminum do this. I wonder if this is really corrosion and not some form of chemical attack. I have had test rig parts made from various alloys of aluminum that have been in storage in uncontrolled environments for years with no problems. The only material I have ever seen corrode that quickly is plain carbon steels.

Do you, by any chance, happen to know what alloy the block is made from?

I found this on Aluminum.org.
"die-cast aluminum-alloy block with aluminum-alloy cylinder heads"
http://www.aluminum.org/antemplate.cfm?issuedate=09/01/2003&template=/contentmanagement/contentdisplay.cfm&contentid=7085 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is aluminum corrosion?

Aluminum corrosion is a natural process in which the metal reacts with its environment, resulting in a breakdown of the material. This can occur due to exposure to moisture, chemicals, or electrical currents.

2. How does aluminum corrosion affect auto repair shops?

Auto repair shops may encounter aluminum corrosion during the repair or maintenance of vehicles with aluminum parts. If not properly addressed, corrosion can weaken or damage the affected parts, leading to potential safety hazards and costly repairs.

3. What are the causes of aluminum corrosion?

The main causes of aluminum corrosion include exposure to moisture, road salt, and other chemicals, as well as contact with other metals or dissimilar materials. Improper storage or handling of aluminum can also contribute to corrosion.

4. How can aluminum corrosion be prevented?

To prevent aluminum corrosion, proper maintenance and care of vehicles with aluminum parts is crucial. This includes regular cleaning, drying, and applying protective coatings. It is also important to avoid contact between aluminum and other metals or dissimilar materials.

5. What can be done if aluminum corrosion is already present?

If aluminum corrosion is already present, it is important to address it as soon as possible. This may involve cleaning and treating the affected area with a corrosion inhibitor or using specialized techniques such as anodizing or electroplating to repair the damage. Seeking professional help from an auto repair shop experienced in handling aluminum corrosion is recommended.