Impulse Response In A Discrete System

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with finding the impulse response function of System A. They have tried searching online but are having trouble understanding it. The suggested method is to start with n=0 and calculate y(n) for n=1, 2, 3,... until it becomes zero. Then take the Z transform to get a transfer function H(z) and use the inverse Z transform to find y[n]. The final result is Y(z) = 0.5 + z^-1 + 0.5z^-2.
smellyman
Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm looking for a bit of help

This is going to sound really easy (and I know it is) but I can't for the life of me remember how to work out the Impulse Response Function of this system. I've tried google for a few hours but nowhere that gives it in laymans terms.

What I would like to know is what the impulse response function h(n) is of System A

y(n) =[tex]\frac{x(n) - 2x(n-1) + x(n-2)}{2}[/tex]

Any assistance would be great, It doesn't even need to be the answer just how I can work it out.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
An impulse is 1 for n = 0 and 0 for any other n.
Start with n = 0. How much is y(0)?
Then make n = 1, 2, 3,... and calculate y(n). After a certain n, y(n) will be always zero.

Take the Z transform of it. So,

Y(z)= X(z)/2 -2/2X(z)z^(-1) +X(z)/2(z^-2)and so on. Then you'll get a transfer function H(z)= Y(z)/X(z)

the Z.T. of an impulse can be found (look up the table, it is =1) then you find the inverse Z. T. to get y[n]

I think (you need to check it) Y(Z)= 0.5 + z^-1 + 0.5z^-2

1. What is impulse response in a discrete system?

Impulse response in a discrete system refers to the output of a system when an impulse signal (a single, short burst of energy) is applied as the input. It represents the behavior of the system and how it responds to an input signal.

2. How is impulse response related to the frequency response of a system?

Impulse response and frequency response are closely related. The impulse response of a system can be used to calculate the frequency response, which describes how the system responds to different frequencies of input signals.

3. What factors can affect the impulse response of a discrete system?

The impulse response of a discrete system can be affected by various factors, such as the system's parameters, input signal characteristics, sampling rate, and the length of the impulse response itself.

4. How is the impulse response of a discrete system represented?

The impulse response of a discrete system is typically represented as a sequence of values, with each value corresponding to the system's output at a specific time after the impulse signal is applied.

5. Why is the impulse response important in signal processing and system analysis?

The impulse response is essential in signal processing and system analysis because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a system. It is used to calculate other important system characteristics, such as the frequency response and the system's stability and causality.