Build a Hovercraft: Get Started with Magnets

• Thread starter MC363A
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, the conversation is about building a small, remote-controlled hovercraft using magnets. The speaker is looking for help and mentions the website universalhovercraft.com. They also mention wanting to include a stability system and mention the possibility of using a mag-lev system, but it may not be feasible for a mobile vehicle.
MC363A
I am looking into building a hovercraft, but i have virtually no idea where to begin. I could use a bit of help. Perhaps something that uses magnets...
Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I didn't specify. I want to build a small, remote-controlled, low-speed, levitating machine. maybe these specifications will give me more results.
Thank you for any help.

There are small toy hovercrafts for sale as well, sounds like a fit from your description. Its all about the cushion of air, if you have a powerful enough fan you don't even need to skirt to assist (like a helicopter or Harrier jump jet) but now may need some stability system to control pitch/yaw/roll.

Unless you have a special track and lots of high-speed electronics, a mag-lev system like some of the experimental trains is not going to work for a highly mobile vehicle.

Cliff

What materials do I need to build a hovercraft with magnets?

You will need a flat, smooth surface to build on, a plastic or foam board for the base, strong magnets, a battery-powered fan, duct tape, and a plastic sheet for the skirt.

How do I attach the magnets to the hovercraft?

The magnets should be attached to the base of the hovercraft and placed in a circular pattern. Make sure they are evenly spaced and securely attached with duct tape.

Do I need any special tools or skills to build a hovercraft with magnets?

No, you do not need any special tools or skills. This project can be completed with basic household tools and materials. However, adult supervision may be necessary for younger children.

What is the purpose of the fan in a hovercraft with magnets?

The fan creates a cushion of air between the hovercraft and the ground, allowing it to glide smoothly and hover above the surface.

Can I make any modifications to the hovercraft design?

Yes, you can experiment with different materials and sizes to see how they affect the performance of the hovercraft. You can also add additional features, such as a steering mechanism or a remote control, to make your hovercraft more advanced.