How Long Does Water Take to Evaporate?

• Thread starter Davidrdguez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation is about the evaporation rate of water in a closed room under normal temperature, pressure, and humidity conditions. The person asking the question is wondering how long it takes for water to evaporate in this scenario and the expert suggests using pan evaporation science to calculate it. They also provide a link for further information and suggest doing a Google search for more resources.
Davidrdguez
Hello everybody,

I'd like to ask a question.

I have one recipient with water, a little water in a box with not very much height as I show in the draw. We have atmospheric pressure and the temperature of the water is the same as the ambient temperature, about 20ºC.

My question is how much time does the water need to get evaporated.

Thanks

Attachments

• water.JPG
    water.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
That will depend on the relative humidity and the rate of flow of fresh air over the water.

I would also like to point out, as an aside, that the temperatue of exposed water always becomes lower than the ambient temp within a short time due to evaporation, unless, of course, the air is saturated with water.

Pan evaporation is used to estimate such things as solar energy per sq measure and lake evaporation.

In the solar energy test two pans are used and one is open to the sun while the other is exposed to all the same conditions except that it is under a screen to shield it from the sun. The differential evaporation rate is used to calculate soler energy falling on the pan.

In the lake evaporation test only one pan is used and the time it takes to evaporate it is used to calculate the evaporation rate of the lake.

Below is a useful link for you

http://www-das.uwyo.edu/~geerts/cwx/penpan.html

I thought the OP was doing a little home Physics...

Shooting star said:
I thought the OP was doing a little home Physics...

That may well be, but the link I provided will prove helpful anyway.

again

Good morning,

I was reading the link you gave me but it's for lakes and things like that.

The question I propose it's for one recipient in one room, closed, with a normal temperature, pressure, relative humidity and we can think there isn't a flow of air above it.

Do you know anything about this case?

Thanks

The pan evaporation science is the same for indoor as well as outdoor cases. you just ahve to find charts that work for the conditions you want. Just Google for "pan evaporation"

1. How does temperature affect the rate of evaporation?

Temperature has a significant impact on the rate of evaporation. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of water molecules also increases, causing them to move more rapidly and escape from the liquid phase into the air more quickly. This leads to a faster rate of evaporation.

2. What other factors besides temperature can affect the rate of evaporation?

Besides temperature, factors such as humidity, air pressure, and air movement can also affect the rate of evaporation. High humidity levels and low air pressure can hinder the evaporation process, while air movement can increase the rate of evaporation by carrying away the water molecules that have evaporated.

3. How does the surface area of water affect the rate of evaporation?

The larger the surface area of water, the faster the rate of evaporation. This is because more water molecules are exposed to the air, allowing for a quicker transfer of energy and evaporation. For example, a shallow puddle will evaporate faster than a deep pool of water due to its larger surface area.

4. Does the type of container affect the rate of evaporation?

Yes, the type of container can impact the rate of evaporation. A container with a wide opening will have a faster rate of evaporation compared to a container with a narrow opening, as it allows for more air to come into contact with the water. Additionally, a container made of a material that conducts heat well, such as metal, will also increase the rate of evaporation.

5. Can water evaporate at any temperature?

Yes, water can evaporate at any temperature, as long as the surrounding air is not already saturated with water vapor. However, the rate of evaporation will be significantly slower at lower temperatures. For example, water will evaporate more slowly at 40°F compared to 80°F.