Classical dynamics recent progress

In summary: There's classical mechanics which gives good answers to questions about everyday objects and events classical relativity which gives good answers to questions about the behavior of objects in space and time and quantum mechanics which gives good answers to questions about the behavior of particles.Classical mechanics is not subsumed into, or subordinate to, or even an approximation of, quantum mechanics by any stretch. For example, here are some classical phenomena on which a solution via quantum mechanics is totally innappropriate:TurbulenceElasticity/viscoelasticity/viscoplasticity...Granular flowShock waves
adastra
Hi all

I am wondering about recent developments of classical dynamics. It seems most physicists are now devoted to quantum world. Is there any effort to broaden the scopes of classical world?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to use a lot of buzzwords, but anyhow...

There's still a lot of theoretical and experimental work on condensed matter systems, especially "soft matter" and the glassy state.

Also biophysics, fluid dynamics, classical field theories, granular materials...

It's a mistake to think that classical physics is complete. There is no theory of viscosity or of fracture, for example.

Thanks, so how can i find the recent works in particle dynamics or rigid body dynamics? Searching doesn't help.

Thanks again

I don't know where you are searching, but I would try either the Journals of the American Physics Society website (http://publish.aps.org/), PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=PubMed), or search under "rational mechanics". I found several thousand papers easily. There's also a lot of work on molecular dynamics simulations (which I think is of marginal validity, but that's my opinion).

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone give me the journal on
"pressure and displacement of sound waves by C. T. Tindle, American Journal of Physics, September 1984 or 1986 pg 749

Thanks, I normally use yahoo or google

You can add chaos and chaotic systems to the list.

Also, try searching in Google Scholar rather than the ordinary Google.

Claude.

Thanks, but yet i didn't find anything on 'rigid body motion'

adastra,

Per aspera, I suppose. Do you have an account at your local university library? They generally can be procured for the equivalent of 50 USD per year. More than worth it, in my opinion.

I would say engineering. Its almost nothing but classical dynamics, i.e. Aerospace, Mechanical, and Civil.

Last edited:
@ejungkurth :

Well yah i have library membership, but hardly there's any review of F=ma or t=2(Pi)((l/g)^0.5), to tell absolute truth, there's none on that. and unfortunately that's what i am searching, : "REVIEW OF THE LAWS LAID DOWN BY CLASSICAL MECHANICS".

Perhaps i will include more details. Classical mechanics has already been reviewed in extreme cases with quantum and relativistic ideas. But i wonder if there had been in any necessity, to explain some weired experiment of phenomenon perhaps, to modify or review classical mechanics in familiar cases. Maybe some experiment that shows F=m^2.a in a very everyday environment, and everyday scale, and there's been a necessity to review classical mechanics. I am looking for such things.

@Cyrus:

Thanks for the info. I would like to know if there's any review of laws of classical dynamics is done.

Last edited:
adastra said:
<snip>

Perhaps i will include more details. Classical mechanics has already been reviewed in extreme cases with quantum and relativistic ideas. But i wonder if there had been in any necessity, to explain some weired experiment of phenomenon perhaps, to modify or review classical mechanics in familiar cases. Maybe some experiment that shows F=m^2.a in a very everyday environment, and everyday scale, and there's been a necessity to review classical mechanics. I am looking for such things.

@<snip>

This is a pet peeve of mine: classical dynamics is not subsumed into, or subordinate to, or even an approximation of, quantum mechanics by any stretch. For example, here are some classical phenomena on which a solution via quantum mechanics is totally innappropriate:

Turbulence
Elasticity/viscoelasticity/viscoplasticity...
Granular flow
Shock waves

None of the above are solved problems. Therefore, there is much research on solving them due to the fundamental importance these topics have to modern life: Granular flow affects billions of dollars in food and cosmetics, shock waves in air transport, material properties of real nonlinear materials like composites and biomaterials, etc. etc.

Now, a small subset of mechanics, namely the mechanics of weakly-interacting point particles, has been superceded by quantum mechanics. But that is a tiny portion of life, the universe, and everything.

adastra said:
@Cyrus:

Thanks for the info. I would like to know if there's any review of laws of classical dynamics is done.

I don't know what you mean by this.

Andy Resnick said:
This is a pet peeve of mine: classical dynamics is not subsumed into, or subordinate to, or even an approximation of, quantum mechanics by any stretch. For example, here are some classical phenomena on which a solution via quantum mechanics is totally innappropriate:

Turbulence
Elasticity/viscoelasticity/viscoplasticity...
Granular flow
Shock waves

None of the above are solved problems. Therefore, there is much research on solving them due to the fundamental importance these topics have to modern life: Granular flow affects billions of dollars in food and cosmetics, shock waves in air transport, material properties of real nonlinear materials like composites and biomaterials, etc. etc.

Now, a small subset of mechanics, namely the mechanics of weakly-interacting point particles, has been superceded by quantum mechanics. But that is a tiny portion of life, the universe, and everything.

“Why spend so long
On a theory that’s wrong?”
Well, it works for your everyday query! (David Morin)

I have a similar position. There are several (almost) disjoint Physics. By disjoint I mean that each one gives good answers in their own application field, but is only loosely conected to the other Physics

Coming back to classical dynamics recent progress I would look at what people like Jerrold E. Marsden, Tudor Ratiu, David Morin,... are doing

Roche said:
Coming back to classical dynamics recent progress I would look at what people like Jerrold E. Marsden, Tudor Ratiu, David Morin,... are doing

Thanks, please give me how to reach them, and the full list please

1. What is classical dynamics?

Classical dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and includes topics such as kinematics, dynamics, and energy conservation.

2. What recent progress has been made in classical dynamics?

In recent years, there have been advancements in the understanding of chaotic motion, the use of computational methods to solve complex problems, and the development of new theoretical models to describe the motion of particles and systems.

3. How does classical dynamics relate to other branches of physics?

Classical dynamics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as classical mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. It serves as the foundation for these fields and provides a framework for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the physical world.

4. What are some applications of classical dynamics?

Classical dynamics has a wide range of applications, including the study of planetary motion, the behavior of gases in thermodynamics, the motion of celestial bodies, and the design and analysis of mechanical systems.

5. How does classical dynamics differ from quantum mechanics?

Classical dynamics and quantum mechanics are two different frameworks for describing the behavior of matter and energy. Classical dynamics is based on Newton's laws of motion and is applicable to macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.