Fhd expression bothering me for weeks

• Thread starter da_willem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the Helmholtz free energy equation plays a significant role in understanding the behavior of magnetic substances, including in the field of ferrohydrodynamics, and takes into account the variations of magnetization with both magnetic field and temperature.
da_willem
Suppose the magnetization of some substance depends on the field H and temperature, i.e. M(H,T) and we have the mathematical identity

[tex]\nabla \int _0 ^H M dH = M \nabla H + \int _0 ^H \nabla M dH[/tex]

then it is derived in Ferrohydrodynamics (fhd) by Rosensweig that

[tex]\nabla \int _0 ^H M dH = M \nabla H + \int _0 ^H \frac{\partial M}{\partial T} dH[/tex]

but what happened with the dependence of M on H?! Shouldn't the above include a term

[tex] \int _0 ^H \frac{\partial M}{\partial H} \nabla H dH[/tex]

or is there some reason this should vanish? Can someone help me out of my misery?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for bringing this interesting topic to our attention. I understand your confusion and I will try my best to provide some insight into this matter.

Firstly, it is important to note that the mathematical identity you have mentioned is known as the Helmholtz free energy equation, which is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics. It relates the internal energy of a system to its entropy and volume, and can also be used to derive other thermodynamic equations.

Now, in the case of ferrohydrodynamics, we are dealing with a magnetic substance that also exhibits fluid-like behavior. This means that the substance is not only affected by the magnetic field H, but also by temperature T. Therefore, the magnetization M is a function of both H and T, i.e. M(H,T).

When we apply the Helmholtz free energy equation to this system, we need to take into account the variations of M with both H and T. This is why the term \frac{\partial M}{\partial T} appears in the equation derived by Rosensweig. This term represents the change in magnetization with respect to temperature, which is a crucial factor in ferrohydrodynamics.

As for the missing term \int _0 ^H \frac{\partial M}{\partial H} \nabla H dH, it is important to note that this term is not included in the Helmholtz free energy equation. This is because the equation assumes that the magnetic field H is constant and does not change with respect to itself. In other words, the equation only considers the change in H with respect to other variables, such as temperature.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your research!

I can understand your frustration with this expression and the potential discrepancies in the mathematical identity. It is important to note that in scientific research, there is always room for further exploration and clarification. It is possible that there may be additional factors or assumptions that need to be considered in this equation.

One potential explanation could be that the dependence of M on H is negligible in this particular scenario, and therefore the term \int _0 ^H \frac{\partial M}{\partial H} \nabla H dH can be omitted. However, it is always important to thoroughly examine and test all variables in order to ensure the accuracy and validity of the results.

In order to fully understand the implications of this equation, it may be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or conduct further research to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles. As scientists, it is our responsibility to continue to question and seek answers in order to advance our understanding of the natural world. I hope this response has provided some insight and guidance in your quest for clarification.

1. What is Fhd expression?

Fhd expression refers to the level of expression of the Fhd gene, which codes for a protein called folate hydrolase domain-containing protein. This protein is involved in the metabolism of folate, a type of vitamin B, in the body.

2. Why is Fhd expression important?

Fhd expression is important because it plays a role in regulating the level of folate in the body, which is essential for various biological processes such as DNA synthesis and cell division. Changes in Fhd expression can lead to alterations in folate levels, which can impact overall health and development.

3. How is Fhd expression measured?

Fhd expression can be measured using techniques such as quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) or RNA sequencing, which allow for the quantification of the amount of Fhd mRNA present in a sample. Changes in mRNA levels can indicate changes in Fhd expression.

4. Can Fhd expression be influenced by environmental factors?

Yes, Fhd expression can be influenced by environmental factors such as diet, exposure to toxins, and stress. These factors can affect the regulation of the Fhd gene and ultimately impact the level of Fhd expression in the body.

5. Is there a link between Fhd expression and disease?

There is evidence that changes in Fhd expression can be associated with certain diseases, such as cancer and neural tube defects. However, more research is needed to fully understand the role of Fhd expression in these conditions.