Is SO3 Actually Soluble in Water?

• Thread starter Kushal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the solubility of SO3 in water. It is noted that SO3 reacts exothermically with water to form water soluble products, and it is energetically favorable for SO3 to dissolve in water. It is also mentioned that if sulfuric acid is heated enough, it will push SO3 out of solution, and that SO3 can be thought of as the anhydrous form of sulfuric acid. However, it is noted that seeing a water solution of SO3 may not be possible due to its instantaneous reaction with water.
Kushal
Is SO3 soluble in water??

i know it reacts very exothermically with water to form water soluble products (H2SO4). But is SO3 itself soluble in water?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
of course, which is energetically favourable.

Think of it this way: If you heat (but do not try this because it can be extremely dangerous) sulfuric acid enough, it will push sulfur trioxide as a gas out of solution. Think of sulfur trioxide as the anhydrous form of sulfuric acid. Yes, sulfur trioxide is soluble in water.

symbolipoint said:
Think of it this way: If you heat (but do not try this because it can be extremely dangerous) sulfuric acid enough, it will push sulfur trioxide as a gas out of solution. Think of sulfur trioxide as the anhydrous form of sulfuric acid. Yes, sulfur trioxide is soluble in water.
It probably is, but, have you really ever seen a water solution of SO3?

noo... i don't think they have those in high school labs!

Kushal said:
noo... i don't think they have those in high school labs!
Don't know what you intended exactly, but I intended: since SO3 reacts with water instantaneously, how can we see a water solution of it?

awwww ok... lol... i didn't think of it as sarcastic... i thought there really were solutions of SO3 dissolved in water.

haha, thnks anyway

Kushal said:
awwww ok... lol... i didn't think of it as sarcastic... i thought there really were solutions of SO3 dissolved in water.

haha, thnks anyway
:smile:

1. Is SO3 polar or nonpolar?

SO3 is a polar molecule due to its bent molecular geometry and unequal sharing of electrons between sulfur and oxygen atoms.

2. Why is SO3 soluble in water?

SO3 is soluble in water because it forms strong hydrogen bonds with the polar water molecules, allowing it to dissolve and dissociate into ions.

3. What is the formula for SO3?

The chemical formula for SO3 is sulfur trioxide, with one sulfur atom and three oxygen atoms, represented as SO3.

4. What happens when SO3 is added to water?

When SO3 is added to water, it reacts with the water molecules to form sulfuric acid (H2SO4), a strong acid. This reaction is exothermic, releasing heat.

5. How is the solubility of SO3 in water affected by temperature?

The solubility of SO3 in water increases with an increase in temperature. This is because the higher temperature provides more energy for the molecules to overcome the attractive forces and dissolve into the water.