Can Frequency Kill Pathogens in Water? A Solution for Creating Potable Water

• Thread starter nickindustrial
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a system similar to Rife's unit to potentially kill bacteria in water and make it drinkable. The use of sonication in a lab setting is mentioned, but it is noted that not all bacteria are equally sensitive to it. The importance of measuring colony forming units (CFU) to assess killing is highlighted, and the conversation concludes with a suggestion of using a cheap solution from a video to tackle the water problem.
nickindustrial
can anyone help me to figure out how to make a system similar to Rife's unit? i would like to try 'kill' bacteria in water by running a frequency of some sort to potentially kill the bacteria and create potable water

Biology news on Phys.org
In a lab setting, we use sonication to break cells or biofilms. However, not all cell are equally sensitive to sonication. For example, Gram-positive are more resistant due to their think wall.

For assessing killing, one must measure colony forming units (CFU), which are measure of bacteria that are alive. To assess killing, you can look at a killing curve by measuring your CFU at t=0 and then at specific intervals. You can then measure the % killing or % survival.

Are you talking about Royal Rife? He was a nut. Built beautiful instruments, but a nut all the same.

yeah I am talking about Royal Raymond Rife, thanks for the replies guys. Do you have any suggestions that involve everyday appliances etc, that could be used to construct a unit along similar principles? Unfortunatly I am a tad restricted by resources

Last edited:

1. How often should I clean and disinfect my surfaces to kill pathogens?

The frequency of cleaning and disinfecting surfaces depends on the level of usage and potential exposure to pathogens. High-touch surfaces, such as doorknobs, should be cleaned and disinfected daily. Other surfaces can be cleaned and disinfected weekly or as needed.

2. Are there any recommended frequencies for using disinfectants to kill pathogens?

Yes, most disinfectants have specific instructions for use on their label, including recommended frequencies. Generally, disinfectants should be used at least once a day on high-touch surfaces, and as needed on other surfaces.

3. How long do I need to leave a disinfectant on a surface to effectively kill pathogens?

The contact time for a disinfectant to effectively kill pathogens can vary depending on the product. It is important to follow the instructions on the label, which typically recommend leaving the disinfectant on the surface for a specific amount of time before wiping it off.

4. Do I need to use different frequencies for different types of pathogens?

Different types of pathogens may have different levels of resistance to disinfectants. It is important to use disinfectants according to their instructions, as some may require longer contact times or more frequent use to effectively kill certain types of pathogens.

5. Can using disinfectants too frequently lead to the development of resistant pathogens?

The overuse or incorrect use of disinfectants can contribute to the development of resistant pathogens. It is important to use disinfectants according to their instructions and not excessively, as this can lead to the survival and growth of resistant pathogens.