Probability of randomly selecting three big blue marbles?

• Thread starter goofyfootsp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the problem involves selecting 3 marbles without replacement from a bag containing 40 blue marbles, 40 red marbles, and 20 green marbles, where 60 of the marbles are big. The question is what is the probability of selecting 3 big blue marbles. Using the formula p(x,y/theta=p(x)p(y/x)=p(y)p(x/y), the probability is calculated to be 0.0129 or option A.
goofyfootsp

Homework Statement

A bag contains 40 blue marbles, 40 red marbles, 20 green marbles. 60 of the marbles are big. Three marbles are selected without replacement.

What is the probability of randomly selecting three big blue marbles?

Homework Equations

p(x,y/theta=p(x)p(y/x)=p(y)p(x/y)

The Attempt at a Solution

(40/60)(39/59)(38/58)/(40/100)(39/99)(38/98)

Physics news on Phys.org
first being big blue: p1 = (40/60)(60/100)
second: p2 = (39/60)(59/99)
third: p3 = ...

all 3 = p1*p2*p3
... right?

wouldn't p2 = (39/59)(59/99) since there is 1 less big marble left?

def (thats what i intended), sorry.
p2 = (39/59)(59/99)

after multiplying p1*p2*p3 do I need to divide the sum by another number?

Why would you think that you need to divide by another number?

Because the answer when p1*p2*p3=.061. yet my worksheet has choices of a. .0125, b. .0240, c. .2323, d. .2400

well on second thought you are write, it can't be the above.

B=blue, b=big.

P(B)*P(b) is the probability of the marble being big and blue and it initially = 40/100*60/100 since being big and being blue are independent of each other.

So I get 40/100*60/100*39/99*59/99*38/98*58/98 for all 3 to be B&b, since they are drawn in succession and without replacement. That = 0.0129, which is close to A?

Thanks I got it and I really appreciate your help!

so was A the answer? I am just curious.

yes thanks!

1. What is the probability of randomly selecting three big blue marbles?

The probability of randomly selecting three big blue marbles depends on the total number of marbles in the selection pool and the number of big blue marbles in that pool. For example, if there are 10 marbles in the pool and 3 of them are big blue marbles, the probability would be 3/10 x 2/9 x 1/8 = 1/120 or 0.0083 or 0.83%.

2. Can the probability of randomly selecting three big blue marbles change?

Yes, the probability can change depending on the total number of marbles in the selection pool and the number of big blue marbles in that pool. As the number of marbles or big blue marbles changes, the probability will also change.

3. What is the difference between probability and odds?

Probability is the likelihood of an event occurring, while odds measure the ratio of the probability of an event occurring to the probability of it not occurring. In other words, probability is a percentage, while odds can be expressed as a ratio or a fraction.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events in probability?

Independent events are events whose outcomes do not affect each other, while dependent events are events whose outcomes are affected by the outcomes of previous events. In the case of randomly selecting three big blue marbles, if the marbles are not replaced after each selection, the probabilities would be dependent.

5. How can probability be used in real-life situations?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as in gambling, insurance, and weather forecasting. It can also be used in decision-making processes, such as determining the likelihood of success for a new product or the chances of winning a sports game. Additionally, probability can be used to analyze data and make predictions in a variety of fields, including science, finance, and medicine.